Why become a member? ×

String Advice For A Novice

sblueplanet

Although i'm experienced on electric bass I've just picked up a pretty worn but decent sounding 1/2 size double bass by Andreas Zeller. I have only ever borrowed an upright for recording on one or two occasions in the past and have no real experience with one.
Because I'm small I thought 1/2 size would be better physically, albeit a compromise on sound and tone so I was hoping for some tips on what might get the best from the instrument, namely strings.
No idea what the bass is currently strung with but I would say the action is low but would like a deeper bottom end if possible, although it has a bridge pickup fitted which is a plus. Again, don't know make of this.
Anyone here been through this stage and found a good solution?

Guest Jecklin

Hi Sblueplanet,

I'm guessing you're going to be playing pizzicato primarily?

The low end may not be lacking from an "audience" perspective. The actual bass content of acoustic instruments truly manifests at some distance away.
That said, there is a limit to how much contra level fundamental will actually be generated from a 1/2 size bass.

Spirocores are a good Pizzicato string, but are pretty bright initially. They have no dampening in them so sustain quite well. The Hybrid strings by innovation are well worth a look too. These may (arguably) have more perceived bottom end for your bass.
Others here will suggest some different strings too.

However I'm not sure which makes and specific strings are available in half size lengths. It may not be as simple as just winding the rest of the string around the tuning peg and cutting double bass strings is generally not a good idea due to the complexity of some of the inner windings.
What is the scale length of your bass? (measure along the string from the nut to the bridge)

You're going to have a great time with your new bass whatever!

Edited by Jecklin

Unless you're very small (under 5ft) you should really be playing a 3/4 size bass.

Strings wise there are only limited selection of half size strings. Thomastik Spirocore medium gauge are widely recommended as a starter string for jazz pizz players, but bear in mind that they are actually quite difficult strings to play on (high tension) and tend to work best with quite a low action. The Thomastik Spirocore weich (light) gauge are much more forgiving. They have a very 'steel string' sound for better or worse. It would help to know what kind of musicians are inspiring you to play the bass in order to get an idea of what kind of sound you are looking for. Lots of people have quite strong opinions about strings but you have to try things to find what suits you. I have personally gone from one extreme (all steel, low action) to another (gut strings, high action) at different points of my playing career. Good luck on your journey.

I am small at 5' 1"".
I have used 3/4 size to record once or twice on tracks which were not challenging but the whole physical thing made me think that to leatn some technique on an upright I should start on something compatible with my frame. Been playing bass on and off for 30yrs but they are very different instruments.
I do have a bow but no arrows :-) so finger-style is what I do.
For listening to upright it has to be jazz and folk that appeals.
I currently play in a funk band with some lean towards latin music so could be utilised here too if my technique improves.

I would start by keeping money in your pocket and playing as much as you can, getting a couple of lessons to avoid potentially dangerous bad habits, listening to A LOT of music featuring DB in all sort of genres, and finally reading A LOT about the double bass: books, forums, watch YouTube videos etc. Do that for a few months, then, when you know how you should sound like, let the string bug commence. Hopefully this way you will find YOUR sound without having to talk to the bank manager. And especially you will fall and stay in love with the double bass forever.

Some sound advice there, thanks guys. String prices are shockingly expensive.
I used to play fretless for years but never entertained getying an upright because of my small build. I did try a Stagg 3/4 eub when they came out but felt this too was too much for me.
I will certainly look into getting a few lessons to understand how to approach the instrument.

Hi sblueplanet

It wasn't that long ago I was in your situation
Except I didn't opt for a 1/2 size
I did think about it - but there weren't any around when I was looking

Like you, I came from playing bass guitar, which is how most of us arrive at DB, I think
I found the choice of string almost mindblowing
and it still amazes me how many different types there are out there

I think Rabbie is spot on - just persist for a bit
Build up the amount of practice slowly
However, my 1st strings were on a Stagg - and they were pretty awful for Pizz playing :(
So if you still don't get on with your strings after a few lessons - change them before they put you off!
That almost happened to me

Perhaps your DB tutor could advise / help you here too
As other say, it may not be a good idea to cut 3/4 strings down
But again, on here Daf Lewis is very helpful, as he's involved with Innovation strings....
He's always ready to help, and seems a nice guy too
Perhaps he can advise as to whether his Innovation strings can be cut down?

Anyhow, I tried Innovation Silver Slap strings, and I found them sooo much easier to play than those 1st steel strings
They have lower tension, and were much easier on the fingers
On my most recent DB - were Spirocore Weich's and I've got used to them
They're steel, but with some sort of rope core? - Anyhow, persistence paid off - I now love them

A word of WARNING though.......!
Change strings one at a time - if you take all the strings off in one go
Your sound-post can fall over!"!!!!
There are plenty of folk on here who are in the know, so check out the DB threads etc

I'm just so glad I started playing DB
I'd hate to be without one now
Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on

Also, don't forget - a decent pickup can make a big difference to your sound

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: As an initial outlay, Innovation strings are cheaper than many other brands
(I'm not on any commission here BTW - just liked them on my 1st bass)

Edited by Marc S

1) Get some lessons soon, definitely before you mess with anything on the instrument like strings or action.
2) The lack of bottom end might possibly be due to technique, if you are plucking the strings like a bass guitar then you will mostly get a thin sound - check out this very good advice from [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ99qaJV3XQ"]Geoff Chalmers[/url].
What sort of pickup does it have?
What sort of music do you want to play with what kind of band?
If you think you're too small for a 3/4, just check out [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbHWp1KfSE"]Esperanza Spalding[/url]