Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard replacement.

Dr.Dave

Got chance of a rather nice Tanglewood acoustic bass for not too much coin. I had one before but , like a pillock , I sold it. Lovely instrument. Anyway , this one's fretted but I fancy having it fretless. There's a couple of suppliers on t'interweb offering fancy wood fingerboard blanks at reasonable prices so - wondering how much I should be paying to a luthier to fit one to t'other ?

Dave...

That's fair enough, you've passed the test. I'm not up to speed with British pricing; in France I'd expect something between the equivalent of £30-60. It's a pretty simple operation for a competent luthier. Pics of the operation, if you go ahead with it..? :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405351192' post='2501094']
Dave...

That's fair enough, you've passed the test. I'm not up to speed with British pricing; in France I'd expect something between the equivalent of £30-60. It's a pretty simple operation for a competent luthier. Pics of the operation, if you go ahead with it..? :)
[/quote]
Might be a while but pics for sure. I'm off walking the Normandy sites again in a few weeks - might bring it with me and have it done while I'm there !!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1405352714' post='2501116']...I'm off walking the Normandy sites again in a few weeks - might bring it with me and have it done while I'm there !!
[/quote]

Dave...

My fellow is a touch further South (Alain Raifort, luthier, Tours, a 'top bloke'...). If you get a bit lower than Alençon, Domfront and the like, you'll be straying into my territory, and would qualify for a jar, or cuppa, so be warned..! B)

Edited by Dad3353

Hoping to be around Vire at some point. A relative was wounded by a Tiger there , while trying to recover an anti-tank gun. He was walking wounded and went off laughing - quoted in a book as saying 'I've got a blighty one , see you later lads , I'll be back in a few weeks'. He got on a hospital ship - the Amsterdam - it hit a mine and he was killed.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405351192' post='2501094']
Dave...

[/quote]

Wow luthiers must be cheap in France, that's how much I'd expect to pay for a setup!

Planing off the old 'board without ruining the neck, and accurately installing and finishing the new one is a fair bit of work IMO, I'd be surprised if you got much change from £200 in the UK. Pulling the frets and installing some wood strips to match the fretboard would be most likely a fair bit cheaper.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1405430629' post='2501818']
Wow luthiers must be cheap in France, that's how much I'd expect to pay for a setup!

Planing off the old 'board without ruining the neck, and accurately installing and finishing the new one is a fair bit of work IMO, I'd be surprised if you got much change from £200 in the UK. Pulling the frets and installing some wood strips to match the fretboard would be most likely a fair bit cheaper.
[/quote]

I thought that too! I'm guessing he meant for the fingerboard blank? £30 to £60 sounds about right for the blank depending on species, though normally a bit cheaper.

And yes, the fingerboard would be removed with heat/steam.

Edited by Manton Customs