Why become a member? ×

Shielding and grounding a bass

isteen

I an going to shield and ground a bass, and have bought some isolating paint.
After that I have to solder a wire - anyone who can post a photo/drawing of from where to where I have to attach that wire?
As you might have guessed, I have never done this before - so I'm not sure what I'm doing :gas:

Thanks

You need to connect the paint - I presume you mean conductive paint - to the earth coming in from the jack socket, which should also be wired to the pot bodies. Usually a screw is fitted anywhere convenient in the control cavity, with a solder tag making good contact with the paint & the wire soldered from there to the earths mentioned above^ wherever is easy.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1405344800' post='2501000']
You need to connect the paint - I presume you mean conductive paint - to the earth coming in from the jack socket, which should also be wired to the pot bodies. Usually a screw is fitted anywhere convenient in the control cavity, with a solder tag making good contact with the paint & the wire soldered from there to the earths mentioned above^ wherever is easy.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

+1 - yes make sure it is indeed [b]conductive[/b] paint ( not insulating as that's the opposite of what you need ). If you could use copper tape (with conductive adhesive if needed then that would be preferable but the paint should work fairly well if that's not practicable).

If you decide to use a screw and solder tag, as previously suggested, don't be tempted to try putting the screw into the bottom of the cavity, use the side walls, otherwise you might put the screw right through the front of the basses body, and only a complete imbecile would do that...

I'll get around to fitting a switch in that hole eventually...