Why become a member? ×

Small, home use only cab for a Ampeg PF350

Jonesy64

Hi guys,

I have a PF-350 on its way and I am now looking for a decent, under £100 speaker cab to go with it.

I am too bone idle to keep rigging up my SVT3Pro and 4x10 at home and now that I have the 350 I like the idea of a small rig in my room that I can plug straight into without having to mess about with cab covers and rack covers and plugs and leads and all that.

I was originally going to get a practice combo but the PF350 will double as a lightweight gigging back-up to the 3Pro.

The Portaflex 210 and 115HE cabs look good but way over my budget.

Any suggestions are very welcome....no problem going down the second hand route.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Jonesy64

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405367030' post='2501329']
Couple of options from Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_210_tp.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bb210t.htm

Not quite sub-£100 but still bargaintastic!
[/quote] Those Harley Bentons are great for the money, tried & tested :)

The Harley Benton fits the bill nicely...but, Lozz, I do like the idea of the SVT210AV.

In fact, there's a GK115 Neo in the sale section which I keep looking at, not a match but cool looking!!

I might need to revise my budget.

Bloody GAS!!!!!

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1405436656' post='2501888']
The Harley Benton fits the bill nicely...but, Lozz, I do like the idea of the SVT210AV.

In fact, there's a GK115 Neo in the sale section which I keep looking at, not a match but cool looking!!

I might need to revise my budget.

Bloody GAS!!!!!
[/quote]

Not sure how much difference you would notice at bedroom levels - reign it in!

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405447917' post='2501998']

Not sure how much difference you would notice at bedroom levels - reign it in!
[/quote]

No, you're right...the Harley (and the Hartke) fit the bill perfectly.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1405451096' post='2502052']

those cabs are awesome!

andy
[/quote]

Bugger.....

SVT 210AV seems like a natural choice, and was well received, but is sadly way over your budget as well.
For below £100, I'd choose Beta Aivin (= Beta Three = Harley Benton = RedSub = White Horse) straight. Got three of them, and they all seem awesome for the money

I've got one of those harley benton things, and the cabinet is actually pretty big. That Hartke looks much smaller! If I was gonna go for a house cabinet, I would be looking at something ALOT smaller. Surely a single 1x10 would suffice?

Saying that, it might be just as cheap getting the 2x10.

If you see any second hand Warwick Neo Pro 1x12" cabs anywhere-or any 8 ohm, 300 watt 12" cab for that matter-I recommend them. Yes, I am biased because I've got 2 of them is my rig, but I also speak from experience. I recorded a demo with one of my old bands last year using my PF-350 & one of the cabs. The results were pretty decent. The producer LOVED the tone!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1405531663' post='2502805']
I've got one of those harley benton things, and the cabinet is actually pretty big. That Hartke looks much smaller! If I was gonna go for a house cabinet, I would be looking at something ALOT smaller. Surely a single 1x10 would suffice?

Saying that, it might be just as cheap getting the 2x10.
[/quote]

That's what it boils down to - those HB 2x10's (despite being big) are dirt cheap.

If I was buying compact and money was no object I'd probably go 1x12 but (aside from ant's bargain Matamp) they don't really exist at the £100ish price point today.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1405617910' post='2503742']
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated and special mention to yellowcar for trying to reign me in :-)

It has worked out great in the end as, all being well, I should have Ant's Matamp 112 sometime soon!
[/quote]

Any time. And congrats on the new acquisition! Look forward to reading the review :)