Why become a member? ×

Bass with just a jazz bridge p/up - does it exist?

electric nate

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1405499239' post='2502356']
Definitely put some kind of double coil on though if you go for it or it will be like a swarm of angry bees.
[/quote]
Dealing with swarms of angry bees is why i'm keeping the volume knob! Seriously though, I just finished shielding all the cavities in an old Ibanez bass with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in the bridge and that went from sounding like Merzbow was doing a gig in the next room, to being really well behaved unless you actually put something electronic right next to it. I thought the QP was more noisy because of it's higher output and such but now it's properly shielded it's quieter than the stock pickups in the jazz I use for recording. I'm not completely opposed to hum-bucking designs, but It'll take a lot to put the breaks on the love affair I have with the raw dynamics and tight, cutting sound s/c's give me.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1405499555' post='2502358']

[url="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/throwoff/media/Jonly_zpsd90367eb.jpg.html"][/url]

Hell there is even the possibility of having just 4 screws holding that down to remove more crap.
[/quote]
[size=4]I rather like that actually. It's like a Diet P-Bass[/size] :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1405502341' post='2502388']
Sandberg will make virtually anything I think, and it won't be silly money, especially if you go through them direct or through Alan at Synergy,
[/quote]
I was daydreaming about a custom Sandberg yesterday in fact. When you say it won't be "silly money" are we talking less than £2000 or less than £5000? Or am I not even in the ballpark yet? My idea of silly money is probably a fair bit lower than most people's. I understand the cost involved in producing a one-off bass but I'm not one to get sentimental about craftsmanship and wood. To me a bass is just a tool, there are well designed tools and badly designed tools and some fit certain hands better than others, but nobody pays over the odds for the perfect spanner or can-opener do they? I [i]think[/i] the point i'm trying to make is that aside from the cost of labor and materials, a lot of custom bass manufacturers make use of people's fantasies and hysteria as a big selling point, as if having a custom instrument somehow opens the door to the VIP lounge in the Elite Bassplayer's Club *cough*[size=2]fendercustomshop[/size]*cough*. So yeah, what makes me apprehensive about getting a well known manufacturer to make a custom bass is the fear of being sold an acre of dreamland along with my chunk of wood and wires. I'm always afraid to email and ask for a quote on something I almost certainly don't have the money for at the moment.

In my view, all the tone and soul and expression and feeling that you hear in music is coming from the musicians, the instruments are just there to facilitate its release. I used to be really inspired by expensive basses when I was younger, imagining how good I'd be if I owned a vintage Rickenbacker or German built Warwick or whatever else, but as i've gotten older (and some may say more cynical) I've gotten way less 'spiritual' and precious about basses, hence why I'm now looking for something really minimal and sleekly functional. RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE [i]note to self: this is what happens when you have 3 pints of coffee for lunch[/i]

[quote name='electric nate' timestamp='1405373293' post='2501426']
I've thought about going that direction, but don't like the idea of filling in pickup cavities, it involves a lot of glue/filler and if the woods don't expand/contract at the same rate then the fill could become unstable and visible through the finish - which would have to be completely redone. It seems really against the flow of my ethos of simplicity to do extra work to a bass in order to remove something. Perhaps i'm just crazy.
[/quote] Why not remove the bridge pup and get custom made pickguard to cover up the hole that is left :)

From my experience less than 2k with a Sandy, their prices have almost caused my credit card company manager to have a little smile on many occasions.

Funny you mention a German Warwick. You could pick up a Corvette for 400 quid now, a Streamer for well under a grand second hand. The used market has just fallen apart in recent years...

I totally agree though. I went though loads of stuff and now run a straight passive USA P with a 1/4 pounder and just a volume knob control (tone pot is still there but not wired in, will get a new plate made at some point and get rid.

Not sure what else I would need.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1405521728' post='2502683']
[url="http://www.roesselbass.com/purist/purist.html"]Roessel Purist[/url]
[/quote]
Oh my. Helloooo pretty wooden things.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1405520190' post='2502655']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Funny you mention a German Warwick. You could pick up a Corvette for 400 quid now, a Streamer for well under a grand second hand. The used market has just fallen apart in recent years... [/font][/color]
[/quote]

I feel just a tad smug to hear that. I did briefly own a Corvette $$ - not sure where it was manufactured but I don't think it was from The Fatherland. I paid about £600 for it, broke the nut, got annoyed with the preamp, decided the neck was hard work to play and then managed to ebay it with the busted nut for £700! It sounded lovely when you got the settings right, but everything seemed an effort with it, it was hard work to play and I never truly felt that sensation of the fingers effortlessly doing what the heart had in mind.

I've seen Sandberg 4 string basses for £1200 or less. That is for the P/M of J/M design with all sorts of active EQ and passive tone control, etc.

As they already seem to have made these basses before, I bet its no more than £1200 for a nice gloss finish, 4 string, vol/one single coil bass. They sell the VS (a simple Sandberg P bass) for quite cheap...I think they can be bought for about £800-900!.

Go on....give Synergy Distribution a quick email! Alan is great.

• 2 weeks later...