Why become a member? ×

Pickup repair/repotting?

wingnutkj

Today I was attempting to raise the bridge pick-up in my Jazz bass a bit, which involved replacing the foam under it (it had perished away a bit). In the process of doing this, two of the (three) wires have come away. How difficult is this to fix? Anyone got any recommendations for people who would do this?

Also, I've noticed that the pickup is quite microphonic (especially in comparison to the neck pickup) - wax potting doesn't look too tricky - any good advice on how to do this?

Edit: the pickup is a Bill Lawrence J45.

Edited by wingnutkj

Unless you're really strapped for cash or the pickup is a vintage Fender that you think is worth keeping I'd be inclined to buy a replacement pickup - I've been reading good reviews of Entwistle pickups on here and the JBX is only £9.99. http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=JBX

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1405516627' post='2502598']
Thanks Thunderbird - I have now ordered myself a harness from John (was toying with the idea for a while), and he'll fix the pickup while he's at it.
[/quote] Great plan I have had a fair few of those from him and he has also done repair work for me I think you will be very pleased his work is top notch and he is a great bloke to deal with :)

You seem to have the electronics problem sorted. However, if you are still looking for info on wax potting, I have done it a few times, and it's seriously easy.

I melted up a couple of big candles and some beeswax in a glass bowl. I had the glass bowl sitting in a large saucepan half full of water .... melted wax is flammable and you need to be careful how much heat you give it access to.
So melt the wax slowly in that type of setup. Only heat until all the wax is melted then turn the heat off. Most wax melts at about 60 degrees Centigrade, so you don't need to boil the water.
Suspend your pickup (not including the pickup cover ideally) by string and lower it into the wax. Leave it there for about 20 minutes. You will see lots of bubbles rising from it as wax replaces the air spaces in the pickup. Change the pickup's orientation once or twice during the process. When bubbles no longer rise, or after about 20 mins remove the pickup with the string and gently wipe it down and let it cool. Job done.
Another caution is to be fairly careful with the windings of the pickup as if you break them the pickup will become useless.

Thanks for the information Hamfist.

In an update to the situation, my neighbour's son popped over yesterday and took an interest in the pickup. He managed to get the cover off it and I can see that there is wax in there. Possibly the wax has deteriorated over time leading to the pickup becoming microphonic.

Either way, it couldn't have tasted very nice, because he left it alone after that. He is four. He thought it looked like an interesting block of Lego. There looks to be some damage to the windings, and my multimeter is telling me that it has infinite impedance, so I think it's now gubbed. Serves me right for leaving it out where little hands could reach it.

Guess I'm in the market for a new pickup after all...

I've got a standard Fender pickup in the back of a cupboard, which I'll put in for now, and then see what I can find. Although Bill Lawrence died last November, his wife Becky and the team are still making pickups, so I may just get another of the same.