Why become a member? ×

T Bone in ear monitoring systems

Paul S

One of my bands are talking over the idea of using IEMs and we have kind of decided that, if we do it at all, we'll dip our toe in the water at the budget end of the scale to see how we get on with it. Our drummer uses T Bone in another of his bands and reckons it is ok, so that is what we are probably going to try. Reading on here seems to indicate it is actually the earphones that are the most important bit, rather than the transmitter/receiver bit.

As usual it has fallen on my lap to look into it but, frankly, I have no idea what I am looking at and am really confused - so please help!! :)

I have had a look at the T Bone stuff and see different models - 75, 100, 200 - and also the difference frequencies. What practically speaking are all these differences?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

You need to buy systems that run within 863-865Mhz (Channel 70) or 606-614Mhz (Channel 38). It's worth noting that channel 38 needs a license - without looking, it's circa 75 for a year or 135 for two?

Anyway, a quick glance gives you the T Bone IEM 75 if you are staying in the free zone... and you can run 3 mixes with 3 of those systems within that part of the spectrum. The 100 ends at 863Mhz, so you can run one of those (although I'm not sure you are meant to run bang on the nose at 863, I'm sure you are meant to be 0.5Mhz off the boundary - that's the case with channel 38 anyway. The 200 doesn't seem to have a system that will run on channel 70. That's if you want to stay legal anyway.

So if you want to run higher numbers of units, you will probably want to go down the Channel 38 route.

However, I would disagree about it all being about the earphones - it's the sum of all the components. If you have a weak transport, it's going to sound pretty rank. Typically, on cheaper units, you are prone to more RF drop out, leading to loss of transmission of radio interference. Also, the quality of the compounder on cheaper units, means that you are likely to have a toppy transmission that is lacking in bass. Sadly, in this game, it's all about what you pay for. I personally wouldn't be bothering with IEMs unless you are willing to drop the cash on decent radio. If it's just to try, buy something like this and a headphone extension cable - http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_hpa_in_ear.htm

- it'll give you a better sound and a better idea if you want to invest in decent radio.

Thank you for the explanation - it has made a lot of it much clearer. I hadn't even considered wired in ear but would think the logistics of that must be difficult to work out. I hear what you are saying about getting what you pay for but my only viable option is wireless, cheap and licence-free because the reality is that lots of money isn't in the frame yet.

Any other cheapskates out there living with T Bone? :)

Wired is not really that big a deal if you already have a wired bass - you can run the in ear feed along the same cable. I'm sure OBBM has made some up for some people on here. It will sound a lot better and be a lot cheaper too.

TonyF runs with the LD systems IEM system - it may be worth him chirping in or dropping him a note. They are classed as budget systems but he seems to be very pleased with it... and he runs it with an incredible pair of moulded in ears (1964 v8s). I have no experience with this particular system so can't comment. What I will say though, is the Shure PSM200 which a lot of people go with, is not very clever in my books and I would urge you to look elsewhere. Now the PSM900s, PSM1000 on the other hand.... and the Sennheiser EW300s...

Edited by EBS_freak

I'm Spartacus! I'm running wired IEM with one of those combo cables from OBBM, which works very well. Switched to it because we had a double-failure of two LD wireless systems on a gig, I ended up IEM-less and suffering with me tinnitus and swore I wouldn't do it again.

I use a small headphone mixer/amp on my amp to mix the aux feed from the desk and the feed from my amp, so I can control how much of Me I get in my ears relative to anyone else...

I think the whole kit and kaboodle cost in the region of £60-70 (plus IEMs).