Why become a member? ×

Faulty footswitch? Easy fix?

plunkrock

I've just picked up a one-off fuzz pedal second hand and I absolutely adore the sound. Unfortunately it seems to have a fault and I was hoping someone with a bit of knowledge of pedal guts could advise whether they think it could be an easy fix...

It appears to be the footswitch, it turns the pedal on and off but sometimes when pressed on the volume is almost zero, the signal is coming through as you can hear it very slightly. Pressing the footswitch down to where it stops but without clicking it brings the full signal back, then it works fine after doing this once or twice.

Does this sound like a replacement footswitch maybe? I really like this pedal so would love to use it, but I can't really if it's a gamble whether it's going to come on or not! :(

I appreciate this might be a hard question to answer but any advice is appreciated!

Cheers for the replies guys, I continued to look this up after posting this and I'm fairly certain the foot switch is the problem. Going to take a punt on one from ebay, it solders straight on the board so really simple. Hopefully have it up and running for a couple of quid :)

If not though... pics to follow ;)

I recently had a switch go on my fx loop pedal, it was doing the same as yours is. I ordered a new one, took a photo of the old one still wired up, and used that photo as a guide to solder in the new one. It wasn't a hard job and it's as good as new now.

*RESOLUTION*

Cheers for the input guys, I got my replacement switch in the post yesterday. Short story - seems to have fixed it!

I've not managed the neatest job, so don't think I'll be selling this one on, it's a great pedal so hopefully that will be ok ;) the guts were rehoused and it was trickier to get the board out than I expected. Also, my tools were playing up so getting the old one off wasn't as easy as it should have been and a couple of the tracks got damaged. I ran a couple of little jumper wires from the switch to the appropriate parts of the PCB to get around this.

I had it working out of the case and when I reassembled, the distortion circuit wasn't working but the clean blend was. The PCB is held in place by the foot switch and I think it was a little too close to the top of the enclosure, moving the nut on the foot switch to give more room has fixed this.

Bit of a hassle, but all's well that ends well I guess :)