Why become a member? ×

American Fender Precision BASS

JJW

How many of you on here have one? I went to a music shop today and tried one out for the first time and thought it was a great play but that was only a 30 minute test in a shop so I wanted to ask the people who own them if it is worth the £1000 or so that it costs.

I`ve had one of the current series, and four of the 2008 - 12 series. In my view they are great basses, and you can usually find them around on here or evilbay for between £600 & £800. Would I buy one new - well I did, but got it for £800 as new old stock (2008 series) - but given what they go for used, I wouldn`t be looking to spend over a grand when there are so many bargains around.

That said, if there were absolutley none on the market 2nd hand, then given how highly I rate them then yes, I would buy one new.

Edited by Lozz196

If you've tried it and your happy I'd go for the one in the shop.

There is an enormous variety of bass guitars to choose from these days but the Fender American Standard Jazz & Precision are, along with the Stingray, still the yardstick against which everything else is judged. Mainly because they have been around for so long they produce the archetypal bass sounds we've all been hearing on records over the years.

A new USA Fender will be a solid and reliable instrument that will come with a hardcase and last you a lifetime.

I played a 2008 revamp in a shop when they first came out it was the best P I've ever played (played and owned quite a few).
It was perfect weight and balance, tone and feel. The fit and finish were also excellent.
I certainly would have bought it new but couldn't afford it at the time.

Boy that sucked.

The post 2012 Am Standards now have Custom Shop pickups. Boom!

yes they are great basses, more versatile than you'd think with just the one pup, I have 2 at the moment and have had several in the past too. The USA Fender's are a cut above the other Fender offerings (MIM particularly) and there are probably several for sale on here just now that would be awesome and significantly cheaper than a new one.

Whereabouts are you matey, if you're near Sheffield you're welcome to pop by and try mine out...

I have one (2011) and love it. I prefer it to my 2013 American Jazz deluxe (playability (although this is probably the set up) and sound). The caveat being my only other comparison is an Ibanez SRX300 which was my first bass. The P Bass bought new, my second.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1405602008' post='2503496']
No because there are far better bass guitars out there for the same money :)
[/quote]

Even though I still think you have to make sure you get a 'good one', the recent 2008 - and 2012 - American Standards are the best Fender's I've ever played.

I think £1000-1100 nowadays is fair especially if you find the right one.

There aren't many basses you can buy new with a guarantee that aren't outsourced for that price now. Stingray basses are approaching £1400 for a normal 3EQ single H...or more!

I've got a 2012 model US Standard, bought last year for under £1000 new - it's great, and FWIW I tried it back to back with lots of other P basses, including some which were much more expensive, and I preferred the standard.

I think the nicest part is the neck, it's really playable, well finished, and the width at the nut is the ideal compromise between skinny jazz and really wide vintage style P necks.

I can't comment the the P's specifically but I have a post '12 american standard jazz and definitely agree about the build quality & playability of these basses. They're just really well put together & the new pick-ups do sound incredibly nice.

I shopped around for a long time deciding which Jazz to buy & the American Standards out performed everything I tried (even the much more expensive Fenders). Saying this I didn't try the "super" basses (sadowsky, sandberg etc...) out there as they were out of my realistic price range.

I would say they probably are worth the money as they last a lifetime. If you can't find a decent one in used condition, the new ones will serve you fine but if you can buy 2nd hand I would as you can always sell it again in the future for roughly the same amount.

I brought a new old stock three colour sunburst USA Precision in 2006 I was the first and only owner but it had been in the shop since 2002. The shop was closing down and I paid £600 for it at time I thought that was a bargain. Compared to other Precisions I'd played it was great. There was something about the feel and quality, the lovely chamfered neck edge great modern tuners, through body stringing and a hard case.
The S1 switch didn't do it for me and the pickups were so so. I changed a lot of the bass around to my spec, Badass 3 bridge, Duncan Quarter Pounders, Graphtech nut, 18 volt battery box routed in the back and EMG stacked chrome knob 2 band EQ. Finished off with chrome bridge (yes works with the Badass 3) and pickup covers. It looked like a bog standard 1960's bass but it played and sounded awesome.
That's the thing with Fender gear if you like the bass you can always change the bits you don't like to suit you, so many people make aftermarket stuff for them.
Personally if Fender haven't dropped their quality then go for a USA one, they do ooze quality, is it worth £1000 I don't know, you could probably build one yourself from new and used parts to your spec (probably higher than factory) for that sort of money ?? When you look at other benchmark manufacturers Gibson have moved their Thunderbirds upto £1500 likewise Musicman are around that price, Hofner £1800 and Rickenbacker are drifting toward £1800 all sort after classic designs so compared to its counterparts at the high end of the market it's still cheap.

Edited by Reversebird

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I am going to but one now thanks to all of you but I don't know where from Or what year yet but 2012 sounds like a good one.

And Andydye thank you so much for the offer but I'm not really near you so I will pass but thanks!

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1405781796' post='2505216']
Although of course Japanese models, historically, either MIJ or CIJ, are arguably as good if not better players than their US counterparts :ph34r: ???
[/quote]

I think that's more opinion than fact. My Am. Std. is as good as any. I've seen, and played some MIM's that were right on. The Roger Waters Precision for one, is a great playing well made MIM Precision.

Sure, agreed. It can only BE opinion.

I have owned and played early 1980 Ibanez Blazer P's, made in Japan, and mid 90's CIJ Fender Ps, also made in Japan of course, a 2008 USA Am Standard, and now have a 63 P US made, and I'd say there is little to choose - except in price!! All good quality, defined only by a badge of origin.

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Ok, the '63 does sound unlike the others :)[/size]

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1405784260' post='2505236']

I think that's more opinion than fact. My Am. Std. is as good as any. I've seen, and played some MIM's that were right on. The Roger Waters Precision for one, is a great playing well made MIM Precision.
[/quote]

Yup, I sold my 2005 Am St. but my 2008 Road Worn remains and will never be sold.

Would like to try the 2008- series US instruments, but I'd be after a light one to part with over 1k. And by light, I mean 8lbs or less.

Try a few. I played LOADS of precision basses and bought the best. Which was a 2012 US Standard. It's an incredible instrument. I'll never sell it.

Also, I have since bought a really nice 1996 Japanese P. Which is great, plays and sounds immense and I gig it more than the US, but build quality isn't the same and I spent a bit upgrading components to make it better.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1405815707' post='2505565']

How many times have we heard this on BC? *sigh*
[/quote]

Many. But does that make it necessary to question me for suggesting this is the case here? As someone who has sold dozens of guitars and basses, the most recent being a super rare PRS which cost more than my car, that I spent a long time in finding and is worth a good deal sentimentally as well as in a monetary sense, you can take my word for it.

*sigh*

Edited by M@23

Another US P user here. I'd been using a 2003 US jazz as a main gigging bass for several years but joined a band over a year ago where a passive P fitted the covers played a little better. In the end got a US P in same colour as my jazz so they make a sort of matched pair. However the P is a bit older (2001) and one of a limited run to mark the [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-USA-50th-anniversary-precision-bass-2001-butterscotch-p-bass-/360702622288?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item53fb8d3a50#ht_1142wt_904"]P's 50th birthday[/url]. It seems very nicely put together and came with a cool case. I didn't pay anything like they are asking on eBay though! If you want to take the risk there are a lot of S/H P's at more sensible prices than new ones. Even new ones may require a bit of setting up which will add to the cost.

Edited by KevB