Why become a member? ×

ACG eq03... Alternatives?

Rumble

Having got my hands on a beautiful ACG Recurve 6 a few weeks ago I've spent a lot of time playing with the very highly thought of preamp. The bass had a lovely natural time and as much as I try, messing with the preamp only seems to detract from it (to my ears). Consequently, I end up leaving everything wide open or running it passive.

My question is whether there's any value in leaving the ACG preamp in situ or swapping it out for a traditional 3 band eq that will allow me to simply cut and boost the natural frequencies? (I've been looking at the Glockenklang preamp)

Thanks in advance for your views and opinions.

Edited by Rumble

IME the ACG EQ03 (and EQ01) are one of the few pre-amps worth bothering with since it does two things you can't do with the controls on your amp - filter-based EQ and the ability to alter the sound of each pickup individually.

The Glockenkland pre-amp is very good but other than the pickup balance it doesn't really do anything that isn't already handled by your amp's controls.

If you do decide that the EQ03 isn't for you I may be interested in buying it...

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how versatile the eq is, but to my ears, I like to hear all the frequencies the bass is generating. It feels like every turn off a knob is dialling some of them out to the detriment of the overall tone.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1405587241' post='2503224']
If you want to hear all the frequencies then all you need is volume and pickup balance controls.
[/quote]
So True. The Glock does have a "sound" of it's own and isn't completely neutral, although I do like it in the bass I have one in.

[quote name='Rumble' timestamp='1405586143' post='2503212']
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how versatile the eq is, but to my ears, I like to hear all the frequencies the bass is generating. It feels like every turn off a knob is dialling some of them out to the detriment of the overall tone.
[/quote]

Sounds like Filter-based pre-amps are not to your taste then. There are no rights and wrongs here. It seems like you have discovered something about what you like and what you don't like. If you don't like the ACG preamp, I suspect you will have no problems selling it. If you already know and like Glock preamps then getting one seems like a pretty sure-fire winner for a bass that you already love it's natural tone.

I've got a ACG EQ-01 - it takes a while to get your head around, so suggest sticking with it a bit longer.

My suggestion... open both filters wide open with the boost (top knob) all the way down.
Turn the high end filter wide open and turn the boost all the way down too.
That should be the sound of it flat-ish with a bit of treble rolled off, turn up the high end filter to taste - if you find it gets too high middy roll the frequency back till it sounds flat.

Play - that should be almost flat sounding....

The trick is to find a good neck tone, and bridge tone - then use the blend to vary the tone while playing live - use the high end filter to add back the top end...
then start playing with the boost knobs for a boost in the mids, remember though indented they don't go cut or boost but boost only.

they do take a bit of getting used to, and I have a bit of a love hate relationship with mine - it sounds awesome but sometimes would prefer something simpler. Interestingly for me I went from the stock MEC preamp in my streamer to the 2 band glockenklang, to the ACG. I personally would stick a U retro in there rather than a glockenklang but that may be as I seriously didn't get on with the glockenklang at all!

Thanks for the tips, Luke.

I've tried the tone setting for each pickup individually then blending, but I'm just struggling to get a tone I like without having everything wide open. I must admit the high filter adds some nice sizzle, but I can't get my head round controlling the mids.

Why didn't you get on with the glockenklang?

After some excellent guidance from Luke, I've opened my mind to possible alternatives to the glockenklang. So what other preamps would leave the natural tone of the bass largely unaffected whilst giving me plenty of tonal shaping options?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1406056364' post='2507935']
Passive and use the tone controls on your amp.
[/quote] the cheap option - just turn the current preamp off!

If it were me I would probably either go passive like BRX says
or maybe get a version of a U retro.... but I guess it also depends what amp you're using.

Using the MB F1 so shaping is slightly limited.

Have left the preamp on but all filters wide open. I still can't get my head round only being able to remove elements of the tone instead of being able to emphasise them. Maybe the filter system just isn't for me.

You can boost the frequency selected by using the upper ring on the filter stack. You can also use the low mid and hi mid boosts on the push/pull on each filter stack. As I mentioned to you before filter preamps don't work the same way as a cut and boost setup and they certainly don't suit everyone.if you don't like the filters run the bass in passive mode instead of using the filters in the signal chain. The passive is a full bypass taking all the active sections out of the signal chain it will still work without a battery in the bass.

Edited by skelf

Just to be clear, I'm not wanting to be disparaging of the eq03. I understand how the boosts and gains work, but the bottom line is that you can't boost frequencies that aren't there because they've been filtered out.

I can really appreciate why some people would love to have the filter shaping capabilities, but I think I'm just one of those people who likes to hear all the frequencies.

I also want to emphasise that the overall tone of the bass is still epic. It was also attracting numerous comments at a practice last night; two of the band just couldn't stop looking at it saying "that's just gorgeous"!

If you've ever spent time in a recording studio watching the mix process you'll see that good engineers rarely use boost on the EQ, preferring instead to cut those frequencies they don't want and then increase the overall level of the signal if required.

Also if the MB F1 with 4 bands of EQ and 2 voicing controls doesn't have sufficient tonal shaping options then you have probably got the wrong equipment for the sound that you are looking for.

I have a MB F1 as well but seldom use the EQ but on the few times I have used it with a passive bass and tried out the EQ and filters it seems pretty powerful to me. Not sure that an on board 3 band would be able to achieve much more other than having the controls on the bass.

Have a look at my ACG03 guide I wrote for Alan. Hope that clears a few things.

[b]EDIT:[/b]
For some reason, the attachment has wrong extension. It is a normal PDF file. Just rename it after you download it.

Edited by kyboo

I use an East U-Retro in three of my basses, and the latest one has five controls (including a passive pull-pot and overall passive tone). I find the East preamps suit me down to the ground, I much prefer to make any changes I might need to EQ on the bass, without fiddling round with the amp onstage - as the direct opposite of BRX, I set the amp and leave it, and just use the bass.

I completely agree. I had a play with the amp eq at the last practice and it was probably the first time I've touched it in months. The point is I was touching it because I couldn't quickly access the tonal variety on the bass. I know it sounds ridiculous given how much variety the preamp offers, but I emphasise the word quickly!

As I've already said, there's no doubting it's an incredibly powerful pre, but...

I don't particularly enjoy driving high performance sports cars for more than an hour or two, but it doesn't mean they aren't incredible machines that some folks would give their back teeth for one.

[quote name='Rumble' timestamp='1406738430' post='2514273']
I completely agree. I had a play with the amp eq at the last practice and it was probably the first time I've touched it in months. The point is I was touching it because I couldn't quickly access the tonal variety on the bass. I know it sounds ridiculous given how much variety the preamp offers, but I emphasise the word quickly!

As I've already said, there's no doubting it's an incredibly powerful pre, but...

I don't particularly enjoy driving high performance sports cars for more than an hour or two, but it doesn't mean they aren't incredible machines that some folks would give their back teeth for one.
[/quote] what were you eq-ing the amp for? your sound or to fit in the room?