Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California Issues

Subbeh

Got my Sandberg California delivered today, would really appreciate some opinions on the neck pocket though.
Had a number of good quality basses and never noticed a gap like this on any of them, just wondering if it's
reasonable to return or exchange it over this? Theres also some sloppy work on the output jack as well.

Anyhow, here are a few picks of the issue

[url="https://flic.kr/p/ofsdK5"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/oyGtSD"][/url]

]

For a new bass, these issues are disappointing, am I making too much of it? the gap seems pretty wide on both sides of the neck.

Edited by Subbeh

Nah, that doesn't look right. The gap isn't too bad...even I could live with that, but it looks like there is rough paint or damage near where the neck sits.So, that is one problem...the gap doesn't help though.

The input jack - that would be enough for me to send it back. That looks like they installed it too tightly or its had a rough journey.

Unfortunately, I've seen this kind of QC from many instrument manufacturers.

It's not like you buy a new LED TV or PS4 and it comes with badly fitted parts is it?! Strange that, considering how many are probably made.

When did you get it and where did you get it from?

Edited by Musicman20

Even though you'll probably end up putting a similar dent in the finish during use I'd say a dent that's hard enough to crack the finish by the jack socket & the blemish by the neck are definitely reasons to call the shop. I'm not so bothered about the gap.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1405613761' post='2503682']
are definitely reasons to call the shop. [/quote]

I agree a phone call would help, but a return needs to be started right now in case the store needs to claim from the courier. Not sure.

OP - Email the store asap with pictures. The sooner the better.

I've just had a guitar delivered this week that was even worse than the above, and I just do not know why it hasn't been checked by the manufacturer/supplier/store. Simply sending it to a customer is just going to cost everyone more money/time.

Edited by Musicman20

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the advice, w[size=4]ill get in tough with the retailer. Hopefully they'll be able to do a straight swap because this bass sounds great, it really is one of the nicest sounding and playing basses Ive owned,[/size]
really surprised and how much oomph these pickups have between them. Getting a replacement without these issues would be ideal.

Thanks all! :)[size=4] [/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Got the replacement through yesterday and I have to say I'm getting pretty annoyed with the retailer - Thomann[size=4] .[/size]
[size=4]Bass isn't damaged this time but clearly isn't new, no manufacturer packaging, scratch plate film peeled and[/size]
[size=4]an entirely dead set of strings with obvious signs of wear/grime with some wear on the frets.[/size]

It's clearly B stock but I'd swear it's had more than 30 days of use judging by the fret wear and grime on the board.

[size=4]Getting in touch with them now but I have to say that I'm very surprised at Thomann's very poor service in this case.[/size]

Edited by Subbeh

Sorry, my other half helpfully took them down, I've put a couple back for reference They took that bass back agreeing that the condition wasn't great. It now seems to be listed as B stock with signs of wear.

Anyway they confirmed the replacement I was sent was itself a used item, as above the strings were utterly dead and there was a shocking amount of grime on the frets, fret wear and skin/dust round the pickups.
They no longer have the bass in stock, I can get a refund or they've said if I go and get a written quote for a setup/fret dressing they may foot the bill.

Here are some shots of the replacement

[url="https://flic.kr/p/ofserM"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/owJTmb"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/ofsoGj"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/ofs7vU"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/owEXur"][/url]

I'm just really disappointed, would be sloppy of them to let this through once never mind twice and I don't even think the neck pocket on this one is much better than the last. I was thinking about keeping it but the more I think about it, the more I feel inclined to just get my money back and go elsewhere. This bass had a signed sticker that it had passed Thomann's QC checks!

Edited by Subbeh

I would question the QC checks as the bass I purchased a week ago had a faulty volume/active on-off pot or the writing going to it. (volume cut out when turning knob, pushing in/out or even slightly shaking the bass)

I suppose it could have happened in transit but unlikely for a pot to go wrong in transit but maybe the QC checks don't actually involve playing the instrument, checking the electric all work etc,.?
I just went for a straight refund as already bored of waiting for arrival, having to send back, still waiting for refund etc,. so don't want another wasted two weeks. Different if you had your heart sent on a specific bass and can't get it anywhere locally though.

Maybe go to see Mark at Bass Direct, who has huge Sandberg stock, or contact Alan at Synergy (UK Distributor). These guys are great and will sort you out if a Sandberg's what you really want.

PS I have a Sandberg Custom Thinline and it's perfect in every way.

I believe you, sold a bass myself to finance this, that was five years old and had one tiny dent that I had to look for to find, was otherwise in better condition than this.

I've been in touch with them and asked for a refund and expressed my disappointment, not sure what I'll look to replace it with, being a lefty my choice is a little
limited but bass shopping is always exciting :)[size=4] .[/size]

[size=4]*Edit*[/size]

[size=4]They're arranging a return, staff were as usual very friendly and helpful, just a shame they didn't have another in stock.[/size]

Edited by Subbeh

I am just looking at the pics on a proper screen, I am not overly fussy but that is well below standard IMO, not just the wear but more importantly the finish and the neck pocket with the general surrounding area of neck heel line and scratchplate fitment, those were obviously like that before the fret wear was added.

A comment that struck me as odd that TNIT made in the Sandberg or Musicman thread was that he felt EBMM stuff was the most mass produced feeling of the mass produced basses, I 100% agree but see it as a total bonus! Great, perfect fit and finish where they are all neatly cut by fancy machines so to a large extent it is a matter of choosing the colour, this bass almost looks like they did not have the machinery to make a lefty and got someone to make one as a one off, one off can be either brilliant or gash, rarely in between in my experience.

Fingers crossed something good comes along soon :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Cheers, absolutely agree about the MM stuff as well, mine was as well built an instrument as I've ever handled, couldn't find even the tiniest fault with it and the neck was just such a nice piece of maple.

Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky in the BC for sale section, seen a lot of great stuff go in there :)[size=4] [/size]

That lifting fret looks like a bit of something went under it and got trapped in there, it is a shame because I have seen some really nice Sandbergs but once you have been bitten it is hard to come back, I went to buy a Warwick Jazzman in 2002 with cash in my pocket, it did not work at all as the preamp was shot and needed to be returned for repair straight out the box so I walked around the shop with the money burning a hole in my pocket until I found one I liked for the same price (£1300 I think) you can guess what that bass was ;)

That's pretty ropey looking, both of them to be honest. Finding it hard to understand why Thomann thought it'd be OK to send you a used instrument when you'd paid for a new one. A catalogue of errors, unfortunately for you.

On a side note, it is relieving to me to see some photographic proof that Gibson don't have a worldwide monopoly on bad/non-existent QC ;)

Go over Thomann's head and contact Sandberg directly with this issues. I'm sure that they'll take care of you and find a way to make Thomann deliver you a perfectly biuld and setup bass. It's bad enought that these passed Sandberg's QC but it's even worst that Thomann is trying to sell them. These basses need to go back to the factory and be fixed/binned.