Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rickenbacker 4003/Jetglo **Now with added photo goodness**

NancyJohnson

I picked up this 4003 about ten days ago...I've been using Thunderbirds for some time and armed with some good advice and available funds, I went for a Rickenbacker.

Been a long road for me. I had a copy as a kid many years ago, loved them in the early Rush/punk days, fell out of love for a long, long time and then a guy I worked with said he had a 4001, I had a lunchtime loan and I was smitten again..

It's a nice alternative to the Thunderbirds, but to be honest it sounds very similar, but only because I'm setting my gear to make it sound similar, if you get my meaning. Irrespective, nothing but positive comments in the band, both on the look and tone. I've removed the treble pickup cover and installed a coved pickup bezel to fill up the ugly gap. The bass comes with Schaller compatible strap lugs, so I just fitted the strap-side fixings to a strap.

Here's a pic from last Saturday (Basingstoke Live Festival). I'll post more if anyone is interested.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405687942' post='2504354']
That's how you play an F# punk style, saves having to learn what the notes are on the other strings are, or tuning them :D
[/quote]

Yep, I read about a punk bassist who, when asked by a studio engineer/producer as to why he had two strings on his bass replied, in case that one breaks. Two of the same string - quality.

OK, pictures.

Rick and Rig:

Reclining of the rug:

I suppose if there was one thing that was a tad disagreeable it was the chasm left when the treble pickup cover came off. I bought a pickup bezel from RickySounds. They're made from a hard rubbery material and come flat, with a raised thumbrest or coved (this is the coved version):

I'll knock a half point off for Rickenbacker's quality control as the treble pickup isn't glued into mount correctly; it's been installed off-centre and at a slight angle. Boo. Doesn't seem to affect the tone.

So there you are.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1405704703' post='2504542']
...the treble pickup isn't glued into mount correctly; it's been installed off-centre and at a slight angle.
[/quote]

You're not the only one. Maybe it's deliberate..? :)

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/rickenbacker-4003-offset-bridge-pickup.827623/"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/rickenbacker-4003-offset-bridge-pickup.827623/[/url]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1405704703' post='2504542']

I'll knock a half point off for Rickenbacker's quality control as the treble pickup isn't glued into mount correctly; it's been installed off-centre and at a slight angle. Boo. Doesn't seem to affect the tone.

[/quote]

They never are straight. I guess Ric assume you'll leave the pickup cover on and nobody will notice!

Not to worry - a black Rickenbacker is the coolest bass you can own, so enjoy!

Edited by simon1964

George, our resident Rickmeister, says I can adjust the bridge pickup position by loosening some mounting screws on the underside of the assembly. (I thought the pickup was glued to the underside mount.) I think that my be a job for when I change the strings next.
P

I think if I was playing mine more regularly i might opt for one of those bezels from Rickysounds too especially as he's in Notts and I could probably just drive to his house and pick it up. He did a 'classic tone' replacement pot for my 4003 a few years back. Not sure I'd bother in hindsight though, think I prefer it as it was originally tonewise (its a push/pull replacement knob so an invisible mod). The original bridge PU cover lasted all of 30 minutes after I got my 4003 (secondhand yr 2000 built) and its never been back on in 12 years.