Why become a member? ×

NAD: Genz Benz Streamliner 900

mcnach

I just received this afternoon a white box with a pretty little amp.

I tried it briefly at home through my little Schroeder cab, and I'm liking what it does, and the sweet little nothings it whispers in my ear, promises of what the future might be if I allow it to become louder...

So I'm taking it to my gig tonight, and see how it goes :)

But I'm already smiling, and that has rarely happened with any amp that I tried at apartment-friendly volumes in only 10 minutes. There were many sounds there, and none bad. Not a single one. Every knob did something intuitive and there aren't many of them.

Let's fire it up! ;)

They are well built, look much more solid than the Shuttle 9.2, and they have proper rubber feet, not the plastic ones that slide on your desk (or BF cabs) - I had to replace the feet in my Shuttle as it's so light it was too easy to push it around and was afraid of dropping it.

Anyway, on the sound side of things... Yesterday I was probably the happiest I've been with my sound in years!
I have liked many amps, but this one seems "special". I could get a thick hefty tone that still had plenty of definition and top end. The midrange never got too boxy or brittle or gnarly... Fingerstyle felt tight and powerful, and slap was fullbodied... (I use an EBS multicomp before the amp, that's all).

I was just using the Streamliner into the BF BB2 cab on top of a 4x10 that was merely a stand for my BB2. As it's there just for stage sound, I like it closer to my ears so that I can hear it clearly without cranking up the volume too much. I could hear it very clearly, and it felt full, it felt powerful without being loud... I was very happy playing last night :)

I won't be able to play a gig without PA support until the first weekend in August, I think. Looking forward to hearing how it behaves in that situation.

I had the "gain" switch on, but I didn't crank the gain too high, so there was no clear distortion, just... a very nice thick tone.

I love the Shuttle 9.2, but the Streamliner 900 is more the kind of amp I wanted. I feel I have arrived. :)

What a great little amp! :)

[quote name='freelancesam' timestamp='1405948233' post='2506795']
Read this

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/genz-benz-head-blown-any-electronics-savvy-people-got-a-spare-minute.1077847"]http://www.talkbass....-minute.1077847[/url]

I blew mine the other week because nobody told me about this. Other than that, it's an incredible amp.
[/quote]

I read already a couple of those recently.
I checked and the switch is not too hard, I wish it were the kind of switch that you'd need to apply a lot of strength to switch it... It's not so easy to switch it to the wrong voltage by mistake, but it can happen, clearly.
I'm covering mine with tape, just in case.