Why become a member? ×

6 string advice

doc40hz

Hi y'all,

I'm looking to get a decent 6 string bass, around the £1000 at the most.

There's a few second hand ones kicking about, has any one had any experience of the following:

Sandberg Ken Taylor basic 6
Status Eclipse 6
Kingston MTD KZ 6
Ibanez BTB 1406

These seem to be the ones I've focused on; I tried a Warwick Pro Series 6, but I couldn't get on with the pickups, I prefer humbuckers or single coils to soapbars I think.

Any opinions would be welcomed!

Cheers

If you are willing to give soapbars another chance then JuliusGroove's Cort A6 is an absolute steal at £425:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/239768-l425-cort-a6-six-string/

If not, then my recommendation would be to get yourself an MTD KZ6 secondhand (see my avatar pic for precisely such a beastie) and replace the stock soapbar pups (which are the only meh thing about this bass) with a set of Nordstrand Fat Stacks or Dual Coils. This will give you a bass that look gorgeous, plays effortlessly, and has a sound so powerful that it will kill small animals at 500 metres.

I have a Cort A6 as my main gigging bass and the build quality and playability are great but I am considering upgrading the pre as the bass control frequency doesn't give quite as full a sound as I'd like but then that's my preference. As for the Bass Mods K6 I have serious GAS for one in white with matching headstock, black plate and hardwear and block inlays so if I was spending my money again I'd go for one of those over the A6.

Edited by Painy

Cheers guys,

I've decided to go for a Clover Avenger 6, second hand from Bass Direct; I'll let you know what it's like when I get it :) - they seem to have a good reputation and it's got single coils.

The Cort stuff is outstanding, I have an A4 artisan; the only weak area is the pickups/pre amp but the instrument is solid. I missed a A6 Artisan on ebay that went for £255! Had a B5 in the past which was also a very well put together instrument.

Edited by doc40hz

[quote name='doc40hz' timestamp='1406068382' post='2508131']
I've decided to go for a Clover Avenger 6, second hand from Bass Direct...
[/quote]

Is that the redish sunburst one with the white pickups?

I nearly bought that when they had it up new a while ago... Looks like a fantastic bass.