Why become a member? ×

looking for recommendations

Funky Dunky

Hi guys, I'm seeking the input of the enlightened.

I have a very bassic (badump-tsh) (sorry) rig and I'm looking to enhance my sound/tone.

I run a Squier VMPJ into a Fender Bronco, so it's a cheap beginner rig, but half decent.The obvious solution is upgrade bass, amp or pickups, but the first two are out. Pickups are perhaps then the obvious choice, but the market is awash with so many that it pickles my brain. I crave a classic woody Fender tone, and there are so many options I dunno if I could make the right call in a million years, so I turn my attention to preamp pedals.

my question is this: how do I use one to enhance my tone, and which ones do you recommend for around £80, new or used? I know Sansamp is a top brand, but which model is best for a bassist who doesn't record and is only just preparing to gig, so for a tonal improvement to my 'live' sound?

Thanks

Duncan

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1405725620' post='2504843']
Look for a used VT Bass... Or import a new one from Prymaxe for £93! Much better than the BDDI / BDI21 IMHO.
[/quote]

Agree with that. The VT offers a lot more flexibility on the eq due to having a mids control. I`ve been really pleased with mine.

Thanks for your replies guys. I've looked at some videos of each of the products on youtube and as it stands, I'm no further forward. It's hard to beat the Behringer for value; in fact it's impossible. But for quality, the Sansamp naturally has a considerable edge. I realise that, given I'm using a rig worth £500 and I have the hands of a novice, developing my touch and technique would be a good place to start if I want to sound better, and the answer to great tone doesn't lie in a pedal. I'm merely looking to add a bit of warmth to my current tone.

My current sound and my ideal sound have one thing in common - no effects or filters, just fingers, bass and an amp. I want warm, woody, clean and thick. Short of upgrading to a couple of grand's worth of rig, or at the very least upgrading my pickups, I'm not sure of how else to inject those qualities into my sound.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1405896582' post='2506351']
My current sound and my ideal sound have one thing in common - no effects or filters, just fingers, bass and an amp. I want warm, woody, clean and thick. Short of upgrading to a couple of grand's worth of rig, or at the very least upgrading my pickups, I'm not sure of how else to inject those qualities into my sound.
[/quote]

Buy a GK Fusion. :)

Edited by discreet