Why become a member? ×

Elixirs - well worth the money

Panamonte

I recently bought a Yamaha TRB 1005 here and - as it was my first 5er - I did a bit of research when I came to restringing it. I wanted steel rounds and decided the LaBella steel rounds sounded like a good bet. The B string got good reports which I figured was pretty important. However, when I played them I found that not only was the sound darker than I was expecting from steels, but that the tonal balance across the strings was quite uneven - the B in particular sounding a lot darker. I don't think they're bad strings, but they just didn't give me the sound I wanted from this bass.

I've had Elixir steels on my L2000 since last autumn and love how they play and sound - it's my go-to bass for recording - so I ordered a set with the .125 B string.

I am happy to report that there is a night and day difference. The fretted notes on the B string are far clearer and there is better tonal consistency across the strings.

I had been wondering whether I needed to change the preamp in this bass, but this is yet another demonstration of the huge difference that strings can make. For a quarter of the price of a John East U Retro Deluxe, my bass now sounds amazing.

Edited by Panamonte

• 2 weeks later...

Been an Elixir Nanoweb user for nearly 10 years (when they first came out) - every bass I have is strung with them. I changed my last set on the Streamer Stage 2 a few months back, as they where 6 years old and had been gigged almost every weekend throughout that period.

Id say thats a pretty immense return on investment, even at £50 a set!

Tried their early ones and they started to break down and get frizzy. I heard they updated the formula recently so I gave them another shot, way better. And the SS sets sound like SS. If I were recording I might, might change them? I don't know though, they've really raised their game.