Why become a member? ×

Stomp Switch 'Pop' Question

discreet

[b]Stomp Switch 'Pop' Question[/b]

I bet this has been covered countless times, but I can't find much about it so apologies for my crappy search abilities... this is related to another thread about FX I've got going... anyway:

Does anyone have an effect pedal or footswitch that makes a 'pop' or 'thump' audible through the amp when stomping on it? I once had a BOSS DS-1 that was totally silent in use - it didn't seem to 'click' in operation, either acoustically or electronically, which was a good thing.

But my amp footswitch makes an audible sound when switching between channels, and there is a perceptible delay in doing so too, which is mildly annoying to say the least.

Is there such a thing as an aftermarket 'silent' stomp switch or footswitch available?

Or is it something we just have to live with?

I thank you! :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405788723' post='2505289']
It rather depends on the type of circuitry used. What make/model of amp is this, and what function(s) are switched..? Is this the pedal that came with the amp, or an 'add-on'..?
[/quote]

Yes, it's the pedal that came with the amp, which is a G-K MB Fusion. The pedal is a simple single-button job that plugs into the amp with a mono jack cable at each end and it switches between the A and B channels - the idea being you can have two different gain structures pushing the preamp valves and switch between them. I opened the case of the switch for a gander and there's hardly anything in there - its just a stomp switch and a small red LED. And quite a lot of air.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405788958' post='2505293']
Yes, it's the pedal that came with the amp, which is a G-K MB Fusion. The pedal is a simple single-button job that plugs into the amp with a mono jack cable at each end and it switches between the A and B channels - the idea being you can have two different gain structures pushing the preamp valves and switch between them. I opened the case of the switch for a gander and there's hardly anything in there - its just a stomp switch and a small red LED. And quite a lot of air.
[/quote]

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could try fitting a 10 meg resistor between the A and B. If the circuit is simple enough, that should do. If the circuit is too sophisticated, it may not work, but won't do any harm. Worth a try..?

Edit: See also...

[url="http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm"]Led 'Popping'...[/url]

You could check if the Led is the cause by lifting one end, provisionally.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405789819' post='2505305']
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could try fitting a 10 meg resistor between the A and B. If the circuit is simple enough, that should do. If the circuit is too sophisticated, it may not work, but won't do any harm. Worth a try..?
[/quote]

Probably is worth a try - and thanks very much for the suggestion -
- but I am to a soldering iron what David Cameron is to democracy. :(

I've been trying to Google an aftermarket silent footswitch on t'interweb, but there doesn't seem to be such an animal. Or if there is, I'm using the wrong search terms...

It could be something inherent in the amp I suppose, as the switch is such an uncomplicated thing.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405790026' post='2505308']
Probably is worth a try - and thanks very much for the suggestion -
- but I am to a soldering iron what David Cameron is to democracy. :(

I've been trying to Google an aftermarket silent footswitch on t'interweb, but there doesn't seem to be such an animal. Or if there is, I'm using the wrong search terms...

It could be something inherent in the amp I suppose, as the switch is such an uncomplicated thing.
[/quote]

See edited previous reply...

A decent tech should be able to advise for not much cost, I would venture. It could also be a useful 'sandbox' for honing your soldering skills..! It's not rocket surgery; even I manage it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405790662' post='2505316']
See edited previous reply... A decent tech should be able to advise for not much cost, I would venture. It could also be a useful 'sandbox' for honing your soldering skills..! It's not rocket surgery; even I manage it. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ah yes, thanks very much for that link... it may not be rocket surgery, but I still think it should be left to the brain scientists... ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405792622' post='2505340']
Get thee hence to a perpetrator of technical miracles, purse in hand, with haste. :mellow:
[/quote]

Well... I reckon as I broke it on your recommendation, I should send it to [i]you [/i]to fix! :lol:[size=4] :P[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405792778' post='2505342']
Well... I reckon as I broke it on your recommendation, I should send it to [i]you [/i]to fix! :lol: :P
[/quote]

OK. I often repair rockets and fallen satellites in my spare time, and have had moderate success with my (OK, fairly clumsy... :blush: ) lobotomies, so I may be able to re-connect a Led.
You don't get that 'pop' now, though, do you..? I claim partial success..! :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405793745' post='2505353']
You don't get that 'pop' now, though, do you..? I claim partial success..! :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

It's true, the problem has been solved... after a fashion. Thanks, Dad. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1405794446' post='2505361']
You know what you should have done - don't you Mark :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Well I didn't want to play any favourites for fear of hurting Dad's feelings. :)
Same address as last time I assume, John?

Edited by discreet

([i]'Ere, y'know that bloke on Basschat..? Ye'know, the one wiv the popping..? Yeah, well,you'll neva guess..! 'E's only gorn and done wot 'e saw on t'web, ain't 'e..! 'Oo'd 'ave thought it, eh..? One born every minute, eh..? What a turn-up, innit..?[/i] :rolleyes: )

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405790026' post='2505308']
[/quote]

I suspect the footswitch isn't at fault, unless it's faulty in some way - I'd be looking at a problem with the amp.

Edited by ahpook