Why become a member? ×

Using an Ashdown VS112 with a MarkBass 121p combo

Mornats

Hey folks,

Was just curious as to what my MarkBass CMD 121P combo would sound like with an extension cab added and I've only got an Ashdown VS112 to try it with. Only trouble is that the Ashdown is rated at 150w at 8ohm. The MarkBass is 500w at 4ohm and 300 at 8ohm so by my logic, that's 200w it'll try and pump through the Ashdown (or 250w? I dunno!).

I guess it'll be safe to try it at at-home volume but if I fancy gigging it would I be at risk of popping the Ashdown easily?

Well each cab will get 250 watts going to it, though I really doubt you`ll be anywhere near that. I use the CMD121P with an NY121 and the volume never goes past 4. Providing you use your ears and don`t push too many lows you should be ok. In fact I used to use just the CMD on its own and the addition of the cab doesn`t make for much louder, but a much bigger size of sound. Working on this theory, if you run the CMD at above 6 on volume usually I`d be dubious but 4 or less I`d give it a go.

Cheers Loz. I've never had the MarkBass above 3 even when gigging with a loud drummer and that's with the input gain at around 2-3. I'm curious about the difference in sound rather than volume. The Ashdown should have a lovely warmth about it I reckon. I'll try it tomorrow (bit too late to be trying it now, even at low volumes. Gotta think of the neighbours).

Ooh well that was nice! I noodled a bit on the combo, then plugged the extension cab in and it added a whole load of lower end warmth to the sound. It took away the clinical feel of the combo. I liked it!

Am I right in thinking I can just unplug the in-built speaker and use the speaker-out on the combo head and just go through the Ashdown? I'd like to try that to compare.

I use my VS112 as an extension cab with my BG250 2x8, lovely warm fat bottom end. I was going to sell the vs112 along with my CTM15 as a mini rig but think it has to stay now. I have a VS115 too, but the 208 sounds better with the 12. Funny coz my home built valve amp sounds wicked with the 15 on its own and the 12 dose nothing for it alone or with the 15! just seems like the 8's work well with the 12.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1405854567' post='2505755']
I'm tempted to try this mod too: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226516-disabling-or-replacing-piezo-tweeter-in-markbass-cmd121p-combo/"]http://basschat.co.u...-cmd121p-combo/[/url] which will take away that annoying hiss and calm down the treble a bit.
[/quote]

Do it!!!

It will take you 10 minutes, and the difference is incredible.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1406232328' post='2509674']
Tried the MarkBass combo just going into the Ashdown cab. So nice and warm with no hiss and no harsh treble. I'm gonna do that mod I think and try the combo as a 2x12 with the internal speaker and the Ashdown VS112.
[/quote]

Good call