Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001 1977 mapleglo

geofio

Just took delivery of my first 4001 in 30 years, she was imported from nashville usa, hard to believe this bass is 37 years old !! in almost mint condition, it is stunning to look at and plays wonderfully.
it came with the original hard shell case with a blue velvet you just don't see any more. i also own two 4003's, i have to say though the original tone is with the 4001 you just cannot beat it, there is a tone there that is not present on the 4003 !! these are not cheap basses either valued at around £2000.

Beautiful bass!

I have a BGlo 1978 (in my avatar pic) which sounds fantastic and is really light with a skinny neck. Lots of gronk and growl and ridiculous sustain.

I'm always wondering about the capacitor mod thing though - are you going to get the mod done?

thanks guys, the cap bypass has been done letting the bridge pickup sound the way it should. it has a long pole toaster in the neck position too. huge sounding bass with lots of ric tone, and very skinny neck.

Paul, you have to find the right 4001 most of these basses sound good!! there is a tone present in the 4001 you just don't get on a 4003, i have played rics for 38 years the 4003 is a nice bass, but if you want the original kind of Geddy lee and Chris squire tone you will only get that from the 4001. the 4003 is more hit and miss, the one you have is one of the good ones !!!

Edited by geofio