Why become a member? ×

Little Bastard Bass !

madshadows

The No Treble website just posted about the new Little Bastard Bass, see the link below, thoughts?, I like the angular lines, odd looking but cool in my book ;)

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/07/20/bastard-basses-announces-little-bastard-bass/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/07/20/bastard-basses-announces-little-bastard-bass/[/url]

John

The look is clever, the way it ties the body shape to the fan-frets and pup angle. But I don't like it; too angular and leaning too much on the visual. Looking good (whatever that means) is far too often a cover for poor function.

I like it but it's extremely reminiscent of some of the more out-there 80s Japanese headless designs:

Aria Pro Interceptor

Westone Quantum

Yamaha BX-1

Ibanez Axstar

I think I'd like it better with a natural finish & some of the more angular forms softened a bit. Either that or just go the whole hog & make it from plastic & lop the head off!

Jon.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1405862430' post='2505905']
I do like the Axstar :)
[/quote]

Where the Axstar (and also the BX-1) are clear winners ergonomically, is that the strap attaches above the 12-14 fret thereby making it hang like a Fender-style instrument when you play.

Reminds me of some of the dusty things that'd turn up in second hand music shops in the mid to late 80's like the ones in Jon's post #3. I didn't buy them then and I'm not starting now. The closest I came was a white Washburn XS-8 or something similar in name with a pointy headstock but I didn't keep that long either. Too many knobs and switches from what I recall. The little bastard has a touch of the Roland G77 about it without the extra 'midi handle'.

Edited by KevB