Why become a member? ×

Which Amp Should I Keep?

discreet

[b]Which Amp Should I Keep?[/b]

I have a Burman MPA Preamp and Burman SL100 Powerpak - a 100W valve amp, and bloody loud - which is very nice [i]indeed[/i]. Super-reliable, sounds fantastic, hand-built by Greg Burman in 1972. I've spent around £175 getting it into a usable, working state.

I also have a Gallien-Krueger MB500 Fusion - high-voltage 3-valve preamp, 500W SS power stage, and bloody loud - which is also very nice indeed. Super-reliable, sounds fantastic, Built by G-K in 2013 or thereabouts...

I love 'em both, and initially bought the Fusion as a back-up for the Burman kit - and though I prefer the sound of the Burman, only the G-K is currently getting any use - and for the sole reason that it's about the same size, shape and weight as a car radio and fits easily in my gig bag... so it's a [i]lot [/i]more convenient - and I'm a lazy bugger.

The Burman kit is big, bulky, weighs a scrotum-bursting 35kg and uses up a lot more car space. And is [i]very[/i] cool.

BUT, I don't really want to have an amp just hanging around doing nothing as 1) It seems like a bit of a waste to me, and 2) there are other nice toys and bits and pieces that GAS dictates I get hold of... GAS is, after all, why I got these amps in the first place...

So my question is, if I'm going to move one or the other of them on, which should it be, and why?

Which should stay and which should go, now?
If one stays will there be trouble? And if it goes, will there be double? Or something..? :blink:

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

The great deity above invented lightweight bass amps for a reason. You have already voted with your feet for the Fusion. I suspect it's only the cool factor that keeps you thinking of the Burman, and that is not enough of a reason when loading out at midnight after a sweaty gig

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1405857731' post='2505809']
The great deity above invented lightweight bass amps for a reason. You have already voted with your feet for the Fusion. I suspect it's only the cool factor that keeps you thinking of the Burman, and that is not enough of a reason when loading out at midnight after a sweaty gig.
[/quote]

D'oh, you're right! I was hoping you'd tell me to man up and use the Burman! :D

If it helps, I frequently wish I hadn't sold my valve 100 watter, even though when I owned it I still took out a tiny class-D amp for most gigs. If you regret parting with one of them a year or two down the line, a modern class-D amp is going to be much easier and cheaper to replace. The Burman does look massive for a 100 watter though! I say keep both if at all possible, or perhaps trade the Burman for a smaller all-in-one valve head...

The great deity above invented lightweight bass amps for a reason. You have already voted with your feet for the Fusion. I suspect it's only the cool factor that keeps you thinking of the Burman, and that is not enough of a reason when loading out at midnight after a sweaty gig
[/quote]

Plus the one.

My input here is the same as Clarkys, Mark. In many posts you rave about all things good re the Fusion, you`ve just bought a great pedal to add to the Fusions sound, and are looking at another grit pedal to further supplement this. I`ve not heard a Burman amp, but I do know the Fusions are great. Lightweight and portable too, and without being disrespectful Mark, that means a lot at our stage in life - as in not quite so young anymore. Go with the easy life, I can`t think how difficult things were before I got my Markbass set-up. Yes I loved my Marshall DBS 7400 & VBC 412 but I was finished even before a gig, getting them into the venue.

MAN UP AND USE THE BURMAN.

I'll take out lightweight stuff on occasion, but the big rig flattens it
soundwise so I'll lug it most places.

You are allowed to keep 2 and if I HAD to sell it would be 'cos the
lightweight rig just can't do what the big rig can. JUST CAN'T..

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405860190' post='2505860']
Sell both and buy a V4B ;)
[/quote]

Now that is a very good idea... but only if a V4B sounds better than (or as good as) my Burman...

Edited by discreet

If I was in your position I would be very reluctant to part with the Burman even if it wasn't getting used a lot, mainly because you would have enormous difficulty in replacing it if you decided you needed it back for any reason. Hard to argue for disposing of the GK if it is meeting your practical needs.

Maybe you need to spend some time playing through the Burman and enjoying it and see if it puts your GAS in check - IME really nice sounding amps are the apex of enjoyment and satisfaction when playing electric instruments.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405860236' post='2505863']

Now that is a very good idea... but only if a V4B sounds better than (or as good as) my Burman...
[/quote]

Worth a look - I loved the V4B I tried a while back, but my experience of proper valve gear before that was limited (read: non-existent) so I had nothing to benchmark against.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405861589' post='2505886']
Like the idea - but the GK sounds great recorded DI and the Burman sounds superlative at gigs!! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:D you are in a pickle aren't you then!

you just need to burMAN up and use your trolley ;)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1405866811' post='2505952']
Get rid of both and go back to the Carvin you were raving so much about a short time ago - they're still great!
[/quote]

Yes, that's a sore point... probably shouldn't have sold that. :) Hindsight, eh?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405866866' post='2505955']

How's yours going, by the way..? :)
[/quote]

Still waiting for the opportunity for me to man up myself! Haven't played with a band in over a year... I've once again parted with my lightweight amp of choice (terror bass) in favour of some REAL valvey goodness. Had intended on working on it myself, but I've so little time I might pass it to a friend to do it for me so at least it's ready when the time comes. As of last week I'm sans cab but should have a new barefaced 2x10 coming in the next few weeks.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1405867329' post='2505960']
Still waiting for the opportunity for me to man up myself! Haven't played with a band in over a year... I've once again parted with my lightweight amp of choice (terror bass) in favour of some REAL valvey goodness. Had intended on working on it myself, but I've so little time I might pass it to a friend to do it for me so at least it's ready when the time comes. As of last week I'm sans cab but should have a new barefaced 2x10 coming in the next few weeks.
[/quote]

Excellent! Review of the new BF cab, please! Re my Burman, I've had a Powercon mains socket fitted, two new speaker sockets and I'm getting Greg at Guitar Aid to fit me a spiffy new DIN plug/socket for the pre to power connection too - all moving toward making the thing easier to use and less prone to damage through casual Muppetry.

Ah - looks like I've answered my own question, there. :blush:[size=4] Well... I've just this minute got the Burman set up with my Barefaced Big One. I'm going to have a quick Tom tit and then crank the fecker up and see what's what!! :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

Er... OK then. Without going too much into 'gush' mode - my Burman amp isn't going anywhere. Hadn't yet played my Limelight Jazz through it and my Barefaced Big One, but in short it sounds fantastic. Acres of creamy full-range harmonic distortion, a bit of natural compression, lots of sustain and loads and loads of heft. I can't imagine it sounding any better frankly.

And it scores over the GK because with judicious setting of the four input stage levels (which are bridged) you can go from clean funky heft to growly rock grit just by playing a little harder, which obviates the need for any kind of FX in front of the amp. Which is just as well as there's quite a lot to carry as it is... ;)

Big mad props to the GK Fusion though, it does get quite a long way down that road. I suppose because (unlike a lot of lightweight amps with valve preamps) it runs its valves at high voltage, like a proper valve amp. It really is no slouch, and of course you get the added convenience. I think with an appropriate pedal I'll be able to do the clean heft to growly rock trick with it, as well.

I can't choose between them - I'm going to keep both of them and say that my bass amp GAS is over!! :)

However, there are still quite a few cabs I want to try... :D

Edited by discreet

The great deity above invented lightweight bass amps for a reason.
[/quote]

We need to understand the reason before making the decision. Same deity also invented sack trucks.

I vote for the Burman every time.

I would say to keep both, each has its pros. I use the Promethean (either as combo or just the head with the S12T) in most of my gigs for portability but there's always the odd big stage gig or open air gigs (now in the summer) where i need to take the rack (power+F1X) with me.