Why become a member? ×

NBD: Limelight '64 Precision Bass

skej21

So, here it is. My new Limelight '64 Precision bass. I'll try and get the boring stuff out of the way first! Specifications I asked Mark to follow were a white Precision bass with tortoise shell plate, a neck with a rosewood 'board, jazz width nut, clay dot inlays and lightly relic'd. I also requested a 1964 serial number on the neck plate as a tribute to someone close for sentimental reasons.

My thoughts... In a word, stunning. The relic job is heavier than I had imagined (and heavier than the pics suggest) but I'm absolutely chuffed to bits with it. I have only mentioned this in case someone is thinking about getting one and wants VERY light relicing, if so you may need to say so. As far as I'm concerned, mine is perfect and very well executed. It is very similar to the relic job on my friends Fender CS '63 light relic precision. The feel of the bass is lovely and has instant 'mojo'. The pickups sound fantastic. I've swapped the rounds that were fitted (that I didn't really like the sound of) for D'Addario Chromes and it's a totally different beast! It took a slight setup tweak to get it playing as I like (only a minor bridge saddle adjustment as the neck was bang on!) and I was off. I've played it at two gigs (one Friday and one last night) and it got rave reviews from band members. The guy who leads the band and mixes the sound said it was just perfect straight into the desk and they all love the aesthetics. Tonally, it's perfect for what we play and it felt so nice to play a gig with it. It's also surprisingly light at 9lbs!!

I've attached some quick phone pics (I'll put better quality ones up later when I'm not on my phone!) and quick vid. Apologies for poor playing as I did them all in one take very quickly and directly into my interface (to give the most transparent example!).

If you're thinking about putting some money Marks way, you could do A LOT worse. He's a great guy, excellent communications, have a rear price on another bass I used as part exchange and completed the work quickly and to a very high standard. Top guy, top company and a really superb instrument. I'm chuffed :-D

Edited by skej21

Very glad to hear it, and it looks totally the business. Instant mojo is about right, I'd say. :) Enjoy!

I can only second the comments about Mark Morgan-Richards - he is a true gent, he knows his stuff and he is a total pleasure to deal with. [size=4]I would also say that though Limelight basses really look the part, they are also light, resonant, comfortable to play and sound truly fantastic. [/size][size=4]In my opinion (regardless of where you stand on the relic issue) you won't get a better bass anywhere at the price. Particularly one put together to your specific style/colour/relic requirements.[/size]

[size=4]Edit: Sounding great, but recording seems a little bit quiet! :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

Love that, the sounds with full volume & tone on both rounds and Chromes sound great - rounds for a more audible, Chromes for a better "feel" in my view. No wonder you`ve been so eagerly awaiting this bass, it`s a cracker.

I'd like to echo what Discreet has said about Mark. Also, regarding the decal, my bass came with nothing on the front of the headstock as it was completed after the basschat thread that surfaced and made its way to Mark, leading to a decision to not include recognisable decals. Marks limelight serial number markings on the back of the headstock are present on my bass and I may fit a decal on the front to complete the look :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1405886011' post='2506183']
Welcome to the club.........if there is such a thing. :D
I can't put a hair in the tone of yours and mine, they do sound good eh.
Enjoy !!
B)
[/quote]

Yes! It's a beautiful instrument. I'm only no 133 in the club. It's quite exclusive by all accounts :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1405886183' post='2506188']
Yes! It's a beautiful instrument. I'm only no 133 in the club. It's quite exclusive by all accounts :-)
[/quote]

Well I'm no 131, so who's no 132?? :D

I am no 2... you are no 6... I am not a number! I am a free man! ...Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haahha-haaaahhh!!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1405886542' post='2506199']
Where can you buy the decals from?
[/quote]

This has been covered here already so I'll save us the time of going through it again:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/145833-fender-p-bass-decals/