Why become a member? ×

Where are all the Big Al 5 basses?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1406179271' post='2509018']

Gareth, it might not matter to you, but if you set on a search for the ultimate bass, [b]knowing well in advance[/b] that this will involve buying and reselling lots of basses, by getting rid of those that didn't meet your expectations, you don't want to do that at a loss do you, you clever clog? Which is why it makes sense that you must try and get most of your money back if not all of it. That my friend, it's simple mathematics and the only way you keep afloat in the game of buying & selling for the purpose of the search which I've described above!

One of the [b]many[/b] differences between me and you Gareth, is that I would flog a bass that I've bought and not liked, while you would send it back because there is a scratch on the cardboard box it came in or the box was the wrong colour and the shipping label was glued at a funny angle, or maybe because Strings & Things didn't include Nectar points for your loyalty card. :D
[/quote]

Wow, mood killer.

Anyway.............

Lots if good tones, I was in no way a fiddler. As you either enjoy it's key sound or you don't,by changing pickups etc and choosing active or passive.

It might be worth noting that as mine was an early one it was made of mahogany, and IIRC it sound was a lot darker than whatever the switched too.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1406180576' post='2509022']

It might be worth noting that as mine was an early one it was made of mahogany, and IIRC it sound was a lot darker than whatever the switched too.
[/quote]

Yeah, so was the one I had. Couldn't tell the difference between that and another ash body I tried later

Gareth, it might not matter to you, but if you set on a search for the ultimate bass, [b]knowing well in advance[/b] that this will involve buying and reselling lots of basses, by getting rid of those that didn't meet your expectations, you don't want to do that at a loss do you, you clever clog? Which is why it makes sense that you must try and get most of your money back if not all of it. That my friend, it's simple mathematics and the only way you keep afloat in the game of buying & selling for the purpose of the search which I've described above!

One of the [b]many[/b] differences between me and you Gareth, is that I would flog a bass that I've bought and not liked, while you would send it back because there is a scratch on the cardboard box it came in or the box was the wrong colour and the shipping label was glued at a funny angle, or maybe because Strings & Things didn't include Nectar points for your loyalty card. :D
[/quote]

Bit harsh...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406210750' post='2509357']
Would you get every penny back on all the dingwalls if something else came along, you might say yes but you know you wouldn't.
[/quote]

Pete I agree, one can never say never if something better does come along, then I'll consider my options.

One thing is for sure, I've had these Dingwalls for over 3 years and they've all got minimal wear and tear, they couldn't possibly be sold as in pristine conditions as the ones I mentioned above, however when I bought the ABZ 5 I paid £1450 cash and the same bass now is listed by Bass Direct at £1999, the other two more expensive ones have also gone up in price by the same percentage, so I might just break even if I was that way inclined, but I have no desire to do so for the foreseeable future.

My Classic 5 now lists at around £2200, Listed on here I would imagine I would be asking around £1300 including the John East preamp, TBF I did not buy that one new. As much as you are down on EBMM now you must have liked them at some stage to have bought so many nice examples so there is no knowing if something 'better' might come along. I just enjoy the ride me, If I added up all the receipts for parts and services for my classic cars I could easily have bought a 355 Ferrari by now but would it be worth loads and be as much fun as my Morris minors, MGBs or Minis......actually thats not a very good example is it? :lol:

For a few years EBMM were on the top of my list, the best Stingray 5 I had was the first one I bought in 1989 with the Alnico pickup, later they changed it to Ceramic, and then changed it back to Alnico I didn't know that, however I sold that first Stingray in a moment of madness, and missed not having it so when I bought the 2nd one in 2002 it had the ceramic pckup and I hated it, so I changed it with a Seymour Duncan alnico, but it wasn't the same, lovely bass to play but the sound was never the same as the 1989 one. from 2002 I sailed for 5 or 6 years non stop spending the least time necessary ashore, not more than 2 months at the time and I was back on board going around the North Europe to West Africa ports 45 days round trips, and then got back to normal life doing short sea trips only within European ports in 2008. That's when I got back into it and started to buy basses again, of course my first port of call was EBMM basses and the 25th Anniversary being one of my favorite. The Bongo was so so, didn't quite float my boat, the Big Al was probably the best of them all, in hindsight.

First stingray 5

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/user/xt660/media/StingRay590smodel1_zpsff19c5dc.jpg.html"][/url]

This was the 2nd one I bought but for some reason didn't match up the first one at all maybe even the body wood might have been different.

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/user/xt660/media/StingRay500smodel2_zpsd4cd424d.jpg.html"][/url]

[/quote]

I don't think anything I said was a personal vendetta, but I didn't expect anything less from you.

Get a grip man. You sold all your basses that you praised because you fell out with the company. You praised the Bongo for years.

End of.

I wish you well with Dingwall but they are boutique instruments, and rare. You will not make money on them. That isn't the point. Money is not everything in life.

I'll tell you what the difference is between me and you, I'm polite and I don't bring things up of forums that I don't understand. I'm probably too nice for my own good.

Please don't try to belittle me; it won't work.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1406230642' post='2509649']

I don't think anything I said was a personal vendetta, but I didn't expect anything less from you.

Get a grip man. You sold all your basses that you praised because you fell out with the company. You praised the Bongo for years.

End of.

I wish you well with Dingwall but they are boutique instruments, and rare. You will not make money on them. That isn't the point. Money is not everything in life.
[/quote]

You don't listen do you Gareth? I said already I'm not even contemplating making money on my Dingwall basses, they are here to stay, besides I'm good enough with money and I don't need to make more

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1406231196' post='2509656']

You don't listen do you Gareth? I said already I'm not even contemplating making money on my Dingwall basses, they are here to stay, besides I'm good enough with money and I don't need to make more
[/quote]

That's great. Just enjoy what you've got. I spend less time on bass forums because of these types of outcomes. Probably a good thing because I've realised none of this actually matters.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1406231554' post='2509659']
That's great. Just enjoy what you've got. I spend less time on bass forums because of these types of outcomes. Probably a good thing because I've realised none of this actually matters.
[/quote]

Yeah me too I hardly spend anytime here, too busy.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1406180937' post='2509024']

Yeah, so was the one I had. Couldn't tell the difference between that and another ash body I tried later
[/quote]

Gents - the very first production Big Al basses were alder. Later changed to mahogany, which they still are (for weight reasons) - I once tried a 4 string acoustically and it was very nice - well balanced and very resonant (and it was an alder one).

And yes your original trans red SR5 was almost certainly an alder body whereas your 2002 may have been ash. The ceramic version is bloody great - in parallel setting sounds classic Stingray but series - powerful or what!!

I've never sold or contemplated selling a Musicman bass (despite people approaching me and offering to buy at least two of them) - oo I tell a lie as I sold my pre EB Ray in the late 80s - had it from new and got 150% of the new price (it was £350 brand new for anyone interested :-) )

I must have your financial touch Fran!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1406499302' post='2512005']
Gents - the very first production Big Al basses were alder. Later changed to mahogany, which they still are (for weight reasons) - I once tried a 4 string acoustically and it was very nice - well balanced and very resonant (and it was an alder one).
[/quote]

In the words of Del Boy.... [i][b]"I'll make a note of that in my Filofax"[/b][/i] :D :D :D