Why become a member? ×

Ampeg at its very best

Roger2611

Just played a festival this afternoon which had a bass rig supplied I was expecting to turn up and find a Musicman bass rig that is owned by a local bassist and is usually the rig available for this festival and to be fair it sounds ok but I prefer my Mark Bass rig.

Anyway I turned up today to be greeted by an Ampeg SVT CL and matching cab, the thing sounded awesome, great sound onstage and (as I got to hear from the band on after us) an equally great sound out front as well a real pleasure to play through.

I spoke to the guy who owned it after we had played, he said the only downside was that it is back brakingly heavy...ooh for a roadie and a spare couple of grand

I've just been converted.
It was odd,I was playing through a tech21vt into hartke lh500 into a ampeg 6x10. then got myself a freshly retubed and serviced svt cl.
First practice everything was noonish ( didn't have much time to fiddle)...... And I must say I was slightly disappointed in not getting the sound I imagined it would have!
Read up a bit and was recommended to forget about the low/high boost buttons drop the bass to a quarter, trebble just past noon and mid 3quarters.... With the selector at 2.......tried it at the next practice... Pure beautiful sound :-) I play in a queens of the stone age esq band ( cgcf) and it cuts like a bitch

Edited by danbowskill

I owned an early SVT2 (non-pro) and used it for a while with an Ampeg cab that had a 15", a 10" and a horn (someone gave me for free as part of the deal on the head). The 10" had been upgraded to handle the power of the SVT and it sounded great.

The SVT came in a Mesa Shock-Rack that added nearly 50% to the weight of the head!

Only ever gigged it once and loved it but carrying the head nearly gave me a hernia and it had to go :(

Every time I see a pro on stage with an SVT and an 8x10" I am extremely jealous :)

I occasionally do some tech work for Runrig, and Rory uses that same set-up - SVT CL and an 8x10. Every time I see, hear it and get to try it out, I think to myself "I've GOT to get me one of these!" as the sound is just wonderful. Then, every time I try and move it I think "Sod that for a game of soldiers!" :lol:

Beauty and the Beast in one (in)convenient package.

I played through an SVT/8x10 at Guilfest a few years ago with a reggae band. We had a quick sound check on stage and I thought it sounded awful. Really distorted with hardly any low end at all. One of the roadies suggested I turn the amp down and let the monitors/PA do the work. As soon as the monitors and FOH were running, it sounded incredible. Mic'ed up SVT at low volume + 10k PA is now my rig of choice ;)