Why become a member? ×

eBay help

fiatcoupe432

So.... I won this on eBay

[url="http://bit.ly/1kJt2vZ"]http://bit.ly/1kJt2vZ[/url]

Just about to make the payment when the guy send me this

sorry mate, I cannot sell this bass for that little, totally my mistake for leaving no reserve, but I cant sell for this little, its worth way too much. im on ...................... if you need to chat.

Sorry mate I cannot sell this bass for that little
Totally my mistake for no leaving a reserve price, I can t sell it for that little , it's worth way too much
Contact me on this number if you need to chat...

2 min later

Please agree to cancel this purchase....
What to do next?

Edited by fiatcoupe432

Sadly there is nothing you can do about it. The identical thing happened to me. I contacted Ebay and their response was that they can't force the seller to complete the sale.

Yes he should have set a reserve. You just have to put it down to experience and move on. There's no point getting into any debate on it as it will just waste your time and get you annoyed.
Looking at his feedback he does seem to be a genuine ebay buyer seller.

I bet he is going to love 30'000 text messages then, lol
Basschatter or not its still shoddy, having your cake and eating it, save on paying for a reserve when listing then if it sells well you win, if not you pull the sale and probably strike up a deal via text and pay no fees at all.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I think the seller needs a reality check - after 24 bids your's was the highest - so how does he get "it's worth more", that's the winning bid, that's how ebay works.

I'd be aggravated, (as a buyer).

Sorry this happened to you but there is not alot you can do except for leave negative feedback or you could as a couple of people said make a payment through papal. Don't be scared about losing your money because if he refuses to refund you, you can just claim it back through PayPal within 45 days.

Look at it the other way. I have sold quite a few items where the winner has just not paid, doesn't respond etc,. Can't even leave negative feedback on buyers, have to waste time waiting for period before re-listing etc, etc,. Just as you can't force him to send the bass, I can't force people to pay.

At least with a bit of negative feedback along the lines of "don't buy from this person he doesn't send the item" may stop it happening again I suppose. Or you think it would but even sellers with 95% positive still happily sell things but possibly don't get the same final prices as a 100% lots of feedback person.

Send ebay a copy of his correspondence and leave him negative. I realise that he may be a BCer and read this but it isn't any advice I wouldn't give whether he was or not.

ebay may give him a warning for attempting to circumvent their fees or if this has happened before (how will they know if people don't report it) then he may get blocked from ebay; your negative feedback would be justified so long as you keep it appropriate and factual... then move on! ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1405923800' post='2506433']
Send ebay a copy of his correspondence and leave him negative. I realise that he may be a BCer and read this but it isn't any advice I wouldn't give whether he was or not.

ebay may give him a warning for attempting to circumvent their fees or if this has happened before (how will they know if people don't report it) then he may get blocked from ebay; your negative feedback would be justified so long as you keep it appropriate and factual... then move on! ;)
[/quote]

exactly, being a BC member has no relevance, really.

The slow way some things sell on here, a 7 string bass would more than likely be on here for months before someone bought it, you can't blame the guy selling on eBay.

It's not going to fetch an awful lot even on there, take off the selling fees and then take off a fee for having a reserve price, I've never sold on eBay so I've no idea what they'd come to, but I should imagine it'd be a fair amount off whatever he got.

So, he gambled by not having a reserve price and lost.

It's still his bass though, regardless of any rules laid out by eBay.

If he doesn't want to sell then it's up to him.

All this 'leave him negative feedback', what's that going to achieve ?

Personally if you really want the bass then phone him and see what he does want, then negotiate.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1405940233' post='2506654']

All this 'leave him negative feedback', what's that going to achieve ?

[/quote]

Because that is a key part of eBay! For example, if you were looking to buy an item on eBay and found two the same for sale. One from a seller who has 90% positive with a few negatives around not dispatching the item and one from a seller with 100% positive for 100's of sold items which one would you buy from?

That is how having a 100% rating affects the seller so poor seller, less money or no sale at all.

As for fees, the fee for a reserve is minimal. The main fee on eBay is the final value sale fee which at something like 10% is still very good for an auction fee.

What he should have done considering he knows what he wants for the bass is list it as Buy It Now for 30 days at the price he wants. In reality nobody would have bought it but at least he would have only wasted his own time.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1405941288' post='2506674']

Because that is a key part of eBay! For example, if you were looking to buy an item on eBay and found two the same for sale. One from a seller who has 90% positive with a few negatives around not dispatching the item and one from a seller with 100% positive for 100's of sold items which one would you buy from?

That is how having a 100% rating affects the seller so poor seller, less money or no sale at all.

As for fees, the fee for a reserve is minimal. The main fee on eBay is the final value sale fee which at something like 10% is still very good for an auction fee.

What he should have done considering he knows what he wants for the bass is list it as Buy It Now for 30 days at the price he wants. In reality nobody would have bought it but at least he would have only wasted his own time.
[/quote]

Leaving negative feedback will actually achieve nothing. The OP still won't have the bass, at the moment he could probably still get it by contacting the seller.

Why cause unnessessary bad feeling ?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1405942531' post='2506701']
Leaving negative feedback will actually achieve nothing. The OP still won't have the bass, at the moment he could probably still get it by contacting the seller.

Why cause unnessessary bad feeling ?
[/quote]

The ebay system is built on feedback and it is the only means of establishing how trustworthy someone is; by not leaving 'appropriate' feedback you are defeating the whole point of feedback, 'not' leaving appropriate feedback achieves a lot less than the converse. TBH you can actually lawfully pursue someone to sell you an item that you have won on ebay, when you sign up to ebay it is part of the T&C, in theory no one ever does because it isn't worth the hassle.

This is quite a cut and dry matter; the seller has stated categorically that he wanted more than he got (should have put a reserve on then) and as a result won't sell, ergo, breach of contract and deserves neg. It isn't like he has suddenly contracted a terminal illness or had a death in the family and as a result couldn't contact the buyer. :huh:[size=4] [/size]