Why become a member? ×

Just realised I'm crap

Guest MoJo

I've been asked to dep for a band on the 12th of September and one of the covers they've asked me to learn is Saw Her Standing There by The Beatles. I'm really struggling to keep that bassline flowing at that pace. The only way I can do it is to play twice on the fifth instead of fifth-root. Hats off to Macca. Might be time to hang up the bass and take up a less challenging pastime

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1405886300' post='2506191']
I don't usually play with a pick but I'm finding it slightly easier with a pick than fingerstyle
[/quote]

Yes! :) If anyone says anything you can say Macca was a pick player. Which he was. ;)
But no-one will say anything. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1405886704' post='2506201']
It's not one of the easiest of basslines either.
[/quote]

Got that in one Don. A lot of people overlook Maccas bass-playing, probably due to the focus being on the vocals and harmonies of said Beatles, but Macca played some great stuff.

With that track, if a couple of notes are slowing you down, just play a typical 3 note walking bassline, and double up on each note. It sounds near enough in the mix for probably anyone but bassists to realise.

I've played a couple of covers evenings recently where I haven't really had time to learn all the bass lines note for note. As long as you play something close enough and play all the right roots in the right places, noone will notice, I guarantee it!

I had the same problem trying to fit the notes in and keep it in time. I ended up playing something that sounded ok and got away with it. It goes to show how good a player Macca is to be able to sing and play at the same time.

Thank god my next dep is with a local acdc band!

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1405889727' post='2506252']
Well you've got to choose songs with relatively difficult basslines, if you ever want to get out of your comfort zone and become a better player.
[/quote]

I agree

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1405889218' post='2506241']
I realised I was crap years ago. Hasn't stopped me though.
[/quote]

I always was, still am and likely always will be; then I can bank on hoping I don't become an annoying arrogant aloof person like some others I know.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1405890708' post='2506270']
... and just to rub it in, Macca sang it while he was playing the bass line. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks......I'll get my coat :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1405892210' post='2506293']
Walk it and no one will care.....
[/quote]

Hell, most of the dep gigs I play, I could walk and nobody would care... As long as they get a cig break and some bingo!

Edited by skej21

we had a similar discussion once in a thread about those fast running disco octaves in donna summer numbers and my suggestion which many concurred with is that you actually need to relax more on the playing but 'think ahead' more on the timing until it all clicks and falls into place

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1405887445' post='2506213']
I've played a couple of covers evenings recently where I haven't really had time to learn all the bass lines note for note. As long as you play something close enough and play all the right roots in the right places, noone will notice, I guarantee it!
[/quote]

This. It's a regular in our set. Last night I tried a few different subtle variations on what I've always understood to be the pucker line and tried to judge the audience reaction on any changes. Did they notice? did they bollox.

It took me a long time to get that bass line down, and even now when I play it, my fingers are tired at the end. On a gig recently the singer called for a second guitar solo, so by the time we eventually finished the song my hands were mullered. Cracking part though. Keep practising, you'll get there in the end and it'll all be worth it.