Why become a member? ×

Can I teach myself to sing?

ironside1966

I tried to do some guide vocals on a recording project the other week, on listening back I was singing in a mono tone that was a semitone flat. How can anybody be that bad?
After a few attempts I just don’t get any better. I have never been able to sing but I didn’t know I how bad I am until know.
I have been in lots of bands over the years. I would say I am a musical person, I am competent on a few instruments and have a good sense of pitch most of the time. Is this Normal? How can I improve?

Singing along with pre-recorded music at home was how I learned. I had zero confidence in singing when younger but realised it was something I just had to practice as I consider backing vocs essential to being a bassist/guitarist. I`ve not got a good voice, but I can sing in key now. But it did take a while, especially when you then try it at band practice without the original part there to guide you.

I also have an awful singing voice! If it's just for backing there are things you can do to help. A singer friend of mine pointed out that pitch is basically muscle memory of your vocal chords. Practice singing or humming along to scales or anything else you can find basically. I'm now at a stage where backing vocal parts that I've practised sound good (or passable at least!) and new BV's still take some time to get right.

With singing it is largely confidence.

I've recently started singing live with just 2 acoustic guitars & another two singers and as I begin to get more used to it I can hear my voice becoming stronger & it's actually starting to feel differently physically as I become more relaxed & less self conscious.

A few weeks ago when we first started working on harmony parts my pitching was all over the place, largely because I was scared to commit to the note I was about to sing - now I'm stepping up to the mic & just doing it. Getting positive feedback from an audience has helped me greatly with this too.

Just keep working at it & you'll probably improve no end.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1406051548' post='2507892']I was scared to commit to the note I was about to sing[/quote] I found this too, I was worried about making the wrong noise, so chose to make none (and I only sing in the car).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1406051548' post='2507892']Just keep working at it & you'll probably improve no end.[/quote]

This is so true, the [i]only[/i] place I sing is in the car, when I am on my own and even I have noticed that, the more I sing and the more attention I pay to what I'm singing, the more accurate my noises become. I have found that previously I used to howl along to the stereo and it was quite loud, however I have found it useful, and sometimes frightening, to turn the music down a lot so the loudest noise is me.

I would love to have singing lessons, but I can't bring myself to do it, the results would just be too awful for words.

Just keep [s]swimming[/s] singing bud.

A vocal tutor that you work well with will get you far further, far faster, than working by yourself.

It's very, very easy to strain your throat and vocal cords in an effort to reach high notes and increase volume. This can lead to development of scar tissue and the dreaded 'nodes'.

A good vocal tutor will help you avoid these issues and set you on the right path to developing a good voice, which can get you a long way in a band situation

I've often thought this, I'm really keen to be able to pull off BV's with aplomb.
I did purchase a self-tuition / exercise course from iTunes, "Voice lessons to go" by Ariella Vaccarino.
It's basically a bunch of exercises starting from simple aaaahhh's right through to complicated arpeggios.
Obviously it can't monitor your progress or highlight where your weaknesses are, a professional teach can't be replaced in this situation, but it's a good starting block for me. I often use it in the car but don't overdo it in case you get a bit lightheaded and dizzy (that never happened to me, honest)...