Why become a member? ×

Best 1 cab solution around the £1k mark

Freddie75

Hi guys,

I know 'best' is subjective but I'm now looking for the best 1 cab for all solution, something hassle free for rehearsals but at the same time good enough / loud enough for gigs from pubs to festivals / larger gigs (with pa support).

Ideally a 212 lightweight - I've been looking yet again at the Berg Cn212 and a couple of the barefaced products - Big Twin II and the Super 15 and the discontinued Super 12t.

I have a genz benz neox I'm selling as I'm looking for something else - perhaps a bit less bulky.

I play funk dance motown stuff.

Anyone have any experiences with any of my suggetions or something else I should consider? I don't really have an opportunity to try any of these out.

Many thanks
Freddie

Edited by Freddie75

I've been playing a CN212 for a year now and it's the best cab I've used. If I lost it I'd replace it with another in a heart beat.

It pairs up perfectly with my Aguilar TH500 and Thunderfunk amps.

I'm in the market for a CN112 to add to it for the stupid loud gigs but on its own the CN212 is full, deep, clear, loud and doesn't boom or put any "mud" into the sound.

If I'm being honest, the other 2x12 options you are looking at won't add that much more than your Genz already provides. Maybe a touch more volume (possibly) and a different tone, but tone is subjective.

The Neo X 212 is a very well respected cabinet. Even the high end cabinet designers seem to think Genz got it right with that cabinet.

You probably won't lose much weight or bulk, but spend a lot more....

Totally up to you though. You could get two CN112's and have a very modular setup. That would make sense.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1405937282' post='2506609']
EAD Foundation 212. No contest and as there is one up for grabs and you can't get a new one anymore, job done.
[/quote]

absolutely without a doubt...THIS!

I don't think there is one cab that will do it all.... but if you want a cab that will make a good fist
of a lot, I'd start with the CN212 on the basis of the 2x112 being very good.
I like them more than the AE112's for sure, but I also have far more time with the AE112's
so it is easier to pick up their 'faults' from my POV than cabs played in a shop.

I'd put the DB212 in there, but it isn't the easiest thing to move around at 70 odd lbs but
if they did a DB610.... that would surely be on my list. They don't, so maybe I'd
look at the NV610 and fit a horn...

All my gigs are covered with a DB212 plus DB210 but that is 2 cabs, so..??

if you can't get an EAD foundation 212 (which is going to be the best one to get imho) then TKS do something that looks very similar, never tried one but they've got a very good rep and would be my second choice ;)

I've got a big twin 2 and it covers everything I do in a Doom band - pubs clubs and bigger stages. Throw sub Bass, fuzz and like at it no probs. I like it. I find what you put in you can get out. Reasonably easy move and fits perfect in the boot of my skoda Fabia.

I was tempted by the berg but had got on with barefaced before so went that way.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1406113892' post='2508402']
Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Berg CN212.

Regards
Freddie
[/quote]

Excellent choice. One year on and I'm still totally pleased with mine. Best cab I've owned. Just discovered that it fit in the back of my Smart with room to spare. The Cab Gas has diffused.

I keep comparing other 1x12s to my CN112 and it keeps coming up trumps. I'm very close to picking up a second one. The only cab I really want to do a head to head with now is the Audiokinesis Hathor 1203.

I can only imagine the CN212 to be a brilliant cab. Nice choice.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1406160870' post='2508996']
Good choice..

What amp are you going to use with it?
[/quote]

I have a GB streamliner 900 and an EBS HD350 ampwise - although an opportunity has arisen to trade the EBS for an Ampeg SVT 7Pro.

Thanks
Freddie