Why become a member? ×

Festival Bass Rig Advice

freelancesam

Hi, I'm playing a festival this weekend to roughly 20,000 people in a rugby stadium, for most of my gigs I usually use a Genz streamliner 900 and a Bergantino HD210. My Genz blew up the other week and I need to hire/borrow an amp for this gig but I'm unsure of what I need and I'm struggling to get hold of anything above 300w.

It's going to be fully DI'd and monitored so I'm assuming I just need an amp that can make a bit of noise and the PA will do the rest? I've heard less noise on stage is better in situations like this?

Can anybody help? And does anybody know anyone that I can hire an amp from that's close to Leicester/Midlands?

EDIT: I have a Seymour Duncan Paranormal DI Pedal on my board, (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stompboxes/sfx06_paranorma_2/) I've used this in studios and plugged straight into desks to record, could this be used live or would the signal be too low? I also have an active bass and Xotic RC Booster always on.

Edited by freelancesam

A decent pub sized rig [i]should[/i] do the job. I've played quite a few festivals of various kinds and you should have a very big FOH PA as well as loud monitors, allowing any instruments or vocals to go through them. I've done most with a 350w amp and reasonable 1x15 cab, later a 4x10 cab.

The first call I'd make is to the P.A company and Engr on the gig.
If the stage is large and set up well, you are likely to have full range monitoring
and a variety of mixes at your disposal... but then that also assumes you get time
to take advantage of a relevant sound check.
If you have a big stage, you'll need the sound to be able to cover it... so you can hear other members
20-30 feet away. Plus, outdoors, bass gets 'lost' extremely quickly.
If the change over is going to have to be quick...all you may get is 15 mins to get your stuff on stage and
get a sound up... and this is easier said that done with 4-5 crew crawling everywhere and they will have their hands full
with the drum kit. This is why I take a rig for the stage... big enough to reach the other side, and the kit and keys.
It is no fun playing without the whole deal of a big stage and you want to be into it...not wondering what everyone else
is doing and making do.
If the organsiers are expecting 20,000 people, they should have spec'd a huge P.A... and all that that entails, but
don't bank on it. We often have to advise the event of a base level of kit spec.... as they don't have a clue...
and tbf...it might be unreasonable to epxtec them to know. They should ask someone who does tho... even the P.A
will ask that...YOU'D HOPE.
Take a pokey loud rig and look after yourseld.. having 500 plus watts on stage in nothing compared to what the
P.A should be for that sized crowd and you should get a dedicated mon engr as well.

But .... don't assume... find out.

For me, I'd rock up with 750w over a 212 plis 210 and I can turn it down. If it ain't there..you can't conjure it
up like magic.

Always talk to the Sound crew prior.... If that is not possible, turn up well before your slot and get an idea
or what the other acts are doing and put your amp in the same place...as they will have rigged the stage
for lines and levels for certain instruments... and you don't want cables dragged out of position just to get a
DI signal because you are used to being on a certain side..and then have the crew 'hunt' for it.
Assume maximum chaos and limited time and help look after yourself...

Follow JTs advice - get the spec for the PA from those using it. Then get a rig that you can hear yourself with on a stage however big it`s going to be. Yes you should get plenty in the monitors, but what if you don`t? Answer, that`s what your rig is for. A gig that size make sure you have the tools for the job.

Chances are sound wise you will be completely covered with PA/monitors, so the only reason you'd need an amp will be for the visual aspect, and if you're particular about what you hear onstage. If that's the case, you'd be best off with at least a 2x12 or a 4x10 and a 300w head.

[quote name='freelancesam' timestamp='1405964673' post='2507040']
Thanks for the replies, panic over! I spoke to the production company and they're putting in an amp with a 8x10 cab so should be fine :) They did ask for a spec sheet (including amps) a month ago but I didn't know mine was going to explode!
[/quote]

Let us know what you think of the Ashdown :-)

I've done a number of festivals that size in recent years in fact did one this weekend and they provided an Eden WT800 with 2, 4x10 eden cabs.
In my experience, even with big cabs behind you, outdoors you don't hear them as well as you would think as they are usually too close behind you and so the sound disappears away from you and not reflected back so that even with an 8x10 you may still need a good monitor mix to hear yourself properly. If I can I usually ask the stage guys to push the cab at least 8 feet behind me which gives me a better sound. The headline band on the festival I was playing, had a riser for the bass player and he had the bass rig in the left front corner of his riser with the speakers facing in towards him and not out towards the crowd which I think for those gigs is a much better way of hearing your bass properly. But I doubt whether many people would get to do that.