Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Roadstar RB850 defret

megallica

I had been missing a fretless in my collection for a while and this RB850 appeared on ebay earlier this year in very good condition.
The original finish was in good condition but I'm not a fan of red finishes so decided to sand it down and stain the wood with a honey coloured beeswax.
Removed the frets and filled the fret slots with wood filler,stained the fret board with ebony stain and coated the board in superglue.

Edited by megallica

Coated the fretboard in superglue? What made you choose superglue for finishing the fretboard? How did you go about it? What were the steps involved?

Edit: Some information here: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/super-glue-fingerboard-coating.839731/

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1405961811' post='2506988']
Such a shame you chose a rare, collectable & near-vintage Japanese bass to do that to. :(

Jon.
[/quote]

I know what you mean John, truth be told I've never found the RB850 very exciting visually but have read a lot of positive praise for the dual humbuckers.
This way I have managed to justify adding another Roadstar to my collection and it actually has a unique feature.
I know there are factory fretless RB850s out there somewhere but they are quite thin on the ground.
To be honest I would say the RB850 is the most common Roadstar, from my years of scouring online auction sites.