Why become a member? ×

Rock crowd pleasers with more challenging basslines

flunkie

Hi all,

So, I'm playing in a covers band doing classic and modern rock. They have a (fairly sensible) rule about only doing well known, crowd pleasing, danceable songs. Most of the stuff we do is fairly easy on bass. I wondered if anyone could suggest some songs that meet their criteria, but are more challenging for me. (The guitarist is not one for learning difficult pieces, just to add to the problem!) Thanks for your help :)

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1405975152' post='2507201']
We did that, but it seemed to fall pretty flat with the crowd so we dropped it. 'No-one Knows' is quite fun to play.
[/quote]

Really surprised to hear that! Always gone down a storm in my experience :)

Not strictly "rock" but you can turn the guitars up a bit to give it a more rock flavour but we always enjoyed doing a rocked up version of Duran Duran's Rio as an encore (and it would always go down a storm with the punters as well). Just don't forget your mullet wig and frilly shirt.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1405978017' post='2507253']
Sanctuary, by the Cult, a little mind numbing for the discerning Bassist but usually wins the crowd over.
[/quote]

If that's a challenging bass line I must be playing it wrong! :gas:

Currently having fun with[list]
[*]Thunder - Dirty Love & Backstreet Symphony
[*]Little Angels - Too Much Too Young & Way That I Live
[*]Rival Sons - Pressure and Time (where the triplet loop kills me at rehearsal, but Saturday night just flowed)
[*]Queen- Now I'm Here (and what possessed me to say over the intro guitar chug in cod strine "Kin ya till wut it is yit?". I 'spose I can't do that anymore)
[*]Chickenfoot - Dubai Blues (easy but keeping the space and getting a bit funky with the drummer was good)
[/list]
Probably not very difficult, and not well known enough (mostly) but with the right crowd in a receptive frame of mind bloody good fun. The Queen song in particular went an absolute storm as the second set closer DAMN was it fun & still on a little adrenaline/good gig bubble I've not had often enough recently. Now wait for my second gig report without the friendly crowd to hear the downside :D

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1405975853' post='2507214']
Yeah but maybe we played it badly! :huh: And then we play bloody Guns N Roses, Sweet blah blah... and everyone loves it.
[/quote]Fear not. The punters sadly know sweet FA in most instances, just what they want to hear that every other band does :( Walked off a month or so after a car wreck of a first set dep (definitely NOT all down to me by a looooooong shot) as was told by most of the crowd how brilliant we were. That was a night I came close to giving up after, even though the second set got slightly better!!

Hmmm, plenty of challenging rock basslines out there, but the trick is thinking of stuff that is also crowd-pleasing and danceable. (YYZ, anybody?!)

How about Back in Black? Not too difficult for your guitarist, and bassline is very easy for the most part, but there is a slightly more interesting twiddly bit near the end. And you could always spice it up a bit more by doing it this way:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbaq1QJfu2A[/media]

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1405978913' post='2507277']
Fear not. The punters sadly know sweet FA in most instances, just what they want to hear that every other band does :( Walked off a month or so after a car wreck of a first set dep (definitely NOT all down to me by a looooooong shot) as was told by most of the crowd how brilliant we were. That was a night I came close to giving up after, even though the second set got slightly better!!
[/quote]

Very true. I gave up worrying about the punters in my latin jazz days. :D

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1405976116' post='2507220']
Fool for your Loving - whitesnake (original version)
[/quote]

I was going to say that one - once someone said about doing it and I thought 'sure, it is whitesnake, how hard could it be, thinking more of don't break my heart.
Turned out it was considerably less easy than expected, but hugely fun to play.