Why become a member? ×

Some Questions From A DB Newbie (strings & things)

BeckyBass

Hello, I've been playing bass guitar for 10 years (professionally for 2) and I thought I'd try branching out into playing double bass.

I've just bought a 3/4 size double bass which is currently strung leftie but nothing has been altered so it should be fine to just swap the strings around (I play right-handed). I've been told to only remove one string at a time which is reasonable, but if I'm swapping them from left to right I will need to remove two at a time. Is this ok for keeping the bridge and neck all happy or am I pushing my luck a bit? I intend to get new strings soon so I could just wait until that happens, but I sort of want to try to out the current strings first... and new strings are expensive and I spent a little more on this bass than I'd hoped! Need a bit of time to claw back funds!

Strings: I have been recommended these strings http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/pirastro-obligato-double-bass-strings-set?EAN=5050127086901&gclid=CMv9p7XU2L4CFQbMtAodDhAAOg and some others - Thomastik Infeld superflexible steels.
I want to play rock n roll/rockabilly kinda stuff - are either of these strings popular with other Basschatters? I've been told that weedwackers are normal for the music I want to play, but they may also sound quite dull so if I can handle the blisters then maybe avoid them.

I am also looking for a few DB tutors for a infrequent lessons. I live in Bristol but will travel a bit if needed... I'm open to learning from a few people to try different styles. I can read music and I'll practice hard but I'd just like a few informal sessions to make sure my technique isn't rubbish and to inspire me to be awesome!

All general tips are welcome, cheers everyone!

The Superflexibles are quite high-tension steel strings, despite the name. They're good strings but would be hard work for rockabilly slap unless you buy the solo-tuning version (designed to be tuned a whole tone higher) and use them at standard pitch. Innovation strings could be worth a look, as they make several sets designed for rockabilly playing and they're reasonably priced.
Most bridges are higher at the E-string side than the G-string side, so a bridge shaped for left handed playing may need some work for a right-handed setup. It might be a good idea to have a luthier look over your bass to see if any setup work is needed.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Surely it will need a new nut and the bridge re profiling for the strings to be swapped? If it's a non adjustable bridge you might have to have a new one fitted now anyway or did the seller give you the right hand bridge, if the bass started life as a lefty the finger board could be profiled wrong for right hand use on some basses.

All of the above. Plus changing strings two at a time should be OK. Lay the bass on its back, suitable padding/cushioning underneath. Swap G and E, then D and A, keeping tension on the other two. That should stop the soundpost falling out of position. I have a short length of wire with a 1/4" right angle bend at one end to help fiddle the string through the winder.

Enjoy your double bass.

Edited by bassace

Yes, the nut will probably be cut the wrong way,
and the grooves in the bridge will be slotted incorrectly -
unless the conversion to L/H wasn't done properly?

Anyhow, you need to ensure the soundpost doesn't fall over
Some say you should put the bass on its' back

Perhaps delay the changeover until you've got some replacement strings?
You could message Daf Lewis on here
There is an Innovation strings trial, and it's FREE!
Just wait for the strings to arrive, try them out, and send on to the next trialist.... simple

Re string choice - I'm fairly new to the world of DB too
The choice of string is almost mind-blowing compared to bass guitar

I currently use Spirocore Weich strings. These are pretty easy on the fingers,
as the tension is low-ish

I used to use Innovation Silver Slaps
These were brilliant for getting me used to playing DB
They're nylon coated, with a sort of fibre / rope core
They're lower tension again, and pretty easy on the fingers
Also, they're cheaper than most other strings

So message Daf, or find the link to the string trial on here
That way, you'll have a set of strings, so you can do them one at a time.....

BUT - check out the nut & bridge slots first....

Let us know how you get on
And good luck :)

Sorry I don't think I was very clear on this... It was originally a right-handed double bass but the owner said that no adjustments were made to turn it into a leftie. If I can find a local double bass luthier I think I shall get them to look over it though!

Thats good (although it must have played oddly to a left hander given the camber of the bridge and fingerboard!) For RnR/rockabilly, assuming you are wanting to learn to slap and pizz (rather than arco) then I would concur that Innovation strings are the best value solution. Silver Slaps (or their yellow-coloured cousin Golden Slaps) are gut-alike strings that have very easy low tension and are much cheaper than steels (which would in any case hurt to slap). An alternative would be Presto Nylonwound Lights (from Thomann in Germany) which I personally prefer, but there's not much in it. There are more expensive alternatives (Velvets, real gut strings etc) but I wouldn't even think about those yet.

Edited by Clarky

For rock'n'roll and rockabilly, Innovation's 'Rockabilly' strings could be ideal for you. Nice easy tension for beginners but just enough tension to give you a decent old school jazz pizz sound.
I use Rockabillys on my working bass - you're more than welcome to have a go if you like (I'm also in Bristol). I can check your bass out for you as well - I'm not a luthier but I'll be able to check that everything's in the right place.

Dave.

Your best bet is to email Martin Penning .http://mpenning-luthier.co.uk/Martin_Penning_Luthier/welcome.html (A fantastic bass luthier, lives in Frome. Not to far from Bristol and a great bloke) He'll sort out your bass. Unfortunatly most 'shops' who happen to set up double basses have ripped me off, several times. Don't want to go into detail but luthiers are your best bet. (Especially Martin)

Greg Cordez lives in Bath and he is a great double bass player, he'll get you making a good sound.
http://gregcordez.webs.com/

I can confirm Greg Cordez is a great guy, and a brilliant DB player
I'm sure he'd look over the bass for you too
But as others have said, a few close-up photos might help with the diagnosis

Stingray Pete's comment about Geddo basses being shipped without strings is interesting....
I wonder why the soundposts don't move or fall?
Perhaps they are glued / fixed into position
I know this is a practice which is not recommended, for the sound of the bass

.... interesting

Cheers all

I think this is your best bet for a first port of call, at least. This is one good reason why basschat is such a great place: [quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1406065893' post='2508089']
For rock'n'roll and rockabilly, Innovation's 'Rockabilly' strings could be ideal for you. Nice easy tension for beginners but just enough tension to give you a decent old school jazz pizz sound.
I use Rockabillys on my working bass - you're more than welcome to have a go if you like (I'm also in Bristol). I can check your bass out for you as well - I'm not a luthier but I'll be able to check that everything's in the right place.

Dave.
[/quote]

Definitely go Innovation at this stage in the game (or Presto ... like what Mr Clarky says)
I'd say Innovation Silverslaps rather than Rockabillies ... though there ain't much in it.
For slapping in particular, the Supersilvers give a woodier gut-like percussion (better for rockabilly), while the Rockabillies give a brighter plasticky clack. Worst name choice ever by Innovation ... the Rockabillies are NOT best for rockabilly.
They're great for pizz though, and have a slightly more defined sound than the Silverslaps.
Supersilvers are the same as Silverslaps just higher tension and so more focussed sound too.

As for switching strings ... yeah lie it on its back, change two at a time ... outside and inside to keep tension even ideally. Don't stress though .. most cheap basses you can take them all off without post falling (usually fitted too tight, like those Gedo basses ... shouldn't stay in place shipped upright unless they are way too tight!). It might fall if you're unlucky ... that's part of the fun. Anyway, everyone should be able to reset their sound post. It's a right royal PIA and part of the joy of owning a db ;o)