Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz (Bitser Fender with '71 neck and tuners)
£650

BassBod

A lovely bass, and a real BassChat Bitser but I'm skint, so its got to go...there may be more...

I put this together a few years ago as the typical late 70's Jaco tribute bass.

Neck - '71 Fender jazz, with binding and walnut strip. Very yellow and crazed finish. Has had a rosewood fingerboard added (was built as a maple one piece). Plays very well indeed, fingerboard has the lightest of playing marks, no significant wear. Chunkier 70's profile, and a touch deeper overall due to the added fingerboard (although it really doesn't look or measure any bigger than a standard neck plus frets). Ex-Beedster...but thats not uncommon around here.

Body - Solid 2 piece alder, from a '99 Fender re-issue, stripped to poly undercoat, then sanded back...but a lot of it is still there. Then given a rough nitro-rattle can coat which is ageing nicely. Its rough, but has a certain rustic charm. Medium weight, but not too bad.

Stuff - has DiMarzio J bass humbuckers, warm and full. Badass 1 bridge, which gives more height..works perfectly with the slightly thicker neck. Has a Fender tort plate fitted.

Currently strung with DR Sunbeams. No case or bag.

Collection only from Bristol /Bath area...or meet up within an hour..

[attachment=167318:IMG_0914.jpg][attachment=167319:IMG_0916.jpg][attachment=167320:IMG_0913.jpg]

Edited by BassBod

This is proper lovely, right up my street! :) (and reminiscent of your old sunburst '72 fretless P/J that I inherited at one time?)

If I hadn't literally just put together a similar bitsa (2012 AVRI '75 RI Jazz body with 1977 US Jazz neck in maple with pearl blocks) I'd be at your door for this - have a bump anyway.......

[quote name='robgo' timestamp='1406149562' post='2508884']
That is nice! Is the neck normal unlined fretless styley, i.e. fret dots on the side at the fret positions (i.e. not between frets like a fretted neck)?

I'm sure I could have put that more clearly!
[/quote]

Yes, dots are on the fret positions (3 5 etc), not in between. Minimal but useful too.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1406139437' post='2508727']
This is proper lovely, right up my street! :) (and reminiscent of your old sunburst '72 fretless P/J that I inherited at one time?)

If I hadn't literally just put together a similar bitsa (2012 AVRI '75 RI Jazz body with 1977 US Jazz neck in maple with pearl blocks) I'd be at your door for this - have a bump anyway.......
[/quote]

Yes, it was a replacement for that very bass ( I always wanted it to be a J). Shame....that would've made a good deal with your Martin. I played the one in V&R a week or two ago..love the chunky neck.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1406035101' post='2507688']
Neck - '71 Fender jazz, with binding and walnut strip. Very yellow and crazed finish. Has had a rosewood fingerboard added (was built as a maple one piece). Plays very well indeed, fingerboard has the lightest of playing marks, no significant wear. Chunkier 70's profile, and a touch deeper overall due to the added fingerboard (although it really doesn't look or measure any bigger than a standard neck plus frets). Ex-Beedster...but thats not uncommon around here.

[attachment=167318:IMG_0914.jpg][attachment=167319:IMG_0916.jpg][attachment=167320:IMG_0913.jpg]
[/quote]

The neck is absolutely outstanding, great player and great looker, made even better by Paul Herman at Wal who worked his magic on the board just before I sold it to Duncan. It's probably worth not far off the asking price for the whole bass to be honest :rolleyes:

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1406192613' post='2509119']

Yes, dots are on the fret positions (3 5 etc), not in between. Minimal but useful too.
[/quote]

Being ex-Beedster it would have to be - he's fussy about such things...... :)