Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Musician MC800 - any ideas on value?

Bigwan

Not usually a fan of asking this sort of question, but I'm at a loss myself! Been offered an Ibanez MC800 (1979 single pickup Musician - looks very like this one but without the questionable control plate: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/70251-fs-ibanez-musician-1978/ ) in trade for one of my basses, but I've no idea what the bass would fetch on the market, which is where it would be going (it's where the bass I would be trading for it would have been going, and possibly still will!). Great bass in pretty incredible condition for its age, but not really my thing. Anyone have any idea (other than the value in the link above)?

Edited by Bigwan

Maybe you could ask fellow Bass Chatter [url=http://basschat.co.uk/user/30753-bjelkeman/]bjelkeman[/url]. He's got one, and a matching MC900, and is quite the vintage Ibanez nut. He sure seems to know his stuff :)

Depends who wants it! People ask - but don't tend to get - some very ambitious money for Ibby MC series basses & guitars. I think if I was selling a late 70s MC800 in original condition (this is very important!) I'd ask around £475 and hope to get around £425-450.

Originality is vital - a few years back I found an MC150 guitar (pretty low end in the Musician range but a fairly rare model) in quite rough condition, numerous parts swapped/missing. I restored it as best I could, using reproduction & re-issue MC series parts, and eventually sold it for £250. If it had been all original, it would have got £400+, even in "player" condition.

What's the value of the bass you're considering trading, if you don't mind me asking?

Jon.

It's a Fender Deluxe P Bass Special. Again, not sure on value, but I'd guess £325/£350.

The Ibanez is ALL original. Condition is excellent for its age - a little bit of lacquer loss on the top of the fretboard, but other than that and dire need of new strings and a setup, it's pretty minty! If the trade goes ahead I might just keep it... Except I've also just bought an ATK...