Why become a member? ×

Festivals

DogHammer

So my band are playing our first big(ish) festival this weekend.

ForeverSun in Dorchester, Dorset.

We don't have the best slot, Sunday at 14:00, but its our first proper festi so we are all pretty excited. There are some pretty big named bands on the bill. Happy Mondays, Buzzcocks, TopLoader, Dub Pistols....
[url="http://www.foreversun.co.uk/"]http://www.foreversun.co.uk/[/url]

Anyone ever played it before? or anyone also playing? Or any festival tips for a first time player long time festival go-er?

Not played there, but my tips for the whole band would be, arrive early, don`t get p*ssed until after the performance, and be pleasant & polite to all, even if they don`t reciprocate. Now you`ve your feet through the door, keep them there. We`ve been commented on a few times by venues as always being a good band to get on with, and that we always show up early - in stark contrast to some others it seems. Keep those kinds of thoughts in the minds of the organisers, they were a good bunch and no bother.

Oh, and obviously make sure all your gear is in good working order, with spares as well. For the day, if it`s like it is now, take sun-screen with you, and keep very well hydrated throughout the day.

For that type of event and line-up..I would say 14:00 is not that bad a time..

For many festivals, it is as much about the time slot rather than the 'prestige' fo going on late.

Hope it goes well.... if the weather is good..the crowd will be there by that time, I'd suggest

If you have specific needs, especially monitor needs - make sure they know in advance, and remind them nearer to the gig. Earlier in the list is actually better, because over-runs haven't yet started to squeeze setup time. We're a tribute band, and our music is fun and light, and we like people dancing about and happy. If we are scheduled to close the event, we actually don't like it much, because sometimes they have a heavy but popular music band on before us, and it doesn't suit. The other thing with being nearer the end is that over-runs mean you may have less setup, and a noisy and keen crowd urging you to get on and play - faffing with monitor levels and other tweaking is frowned on, even if you really need it.

If you haven't played a festival before, it's great fun - because you can see everyone's eyes - something you don't get playing indoors where apart from the front row, everyone is in the dark. I love playing festivals in the daytime. It's not so 'theatrical' the lights doing very little, but the atmosphere works for me. I hope you have a great time. Oh - and you can get very wet, if the roof leaks!

Two minutes after we finished, the heavens opened and it poured, getting the van packed in the rain, across the mud, in pitch darkness isn't quite so rock and roll!

Edited by paulears

My band plays Summerfest every year on one of the main headliner stages. Having a slot after 5 always helps. Have fun use the backline provided.It just makes things easier. At Summerfest ( largest music fest in the world ) they won't let you use your own amps or drums. However the amps and drums they backline are always 5 star stuff.

blue

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1406068369' post='2508128']
Thanks a lot for the tips.

I checked out the back line and the bass amp they have for the stage we are on isn't too great so I will be taking the orange rig.

Looking forward to it and will get some photos for posting!
[/quote]

I have always had an interest in Orange. I use GK stuff, but if I ever go the route of a 2nd rig I would consider Orange. I really dig the look of Orange. The stuff is expensive and I have been told it wouldn't be the same Orange product I fell in love with back in the 70s.

blue

Lots of good tips there. I would certainly endorse:[list=1]
[*]get their early
[*]be pleasant to the staff - whatever their role (I wouldn't want their stress ever)
[*]don't over-do the hospitality (until after the gig) - remembering point 2 above still!!
[*]make sure you can use any of your gear before you just unload it - swapping over gear takes time - the sound crew will be able to refuse if you don't adhere to 2.
[*]think about what you each want in your monitors so the monitor guy isn't wasting time while you all debate what you want
[*]enjoy the experience, festivals are great fun and a brilliant atmosphere.
[*]have a good one!
[/list]

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1406044036' post='2507809']
For that type of event and line-up..I would say 14:00 is not that bad a time..

For many festivals, it is as much about the time slot rather than the 'prestige' fo going on late.

Hope it goes well.... if the weather is good..the crowd will be there by that time, I'd suggest
[/quote]

the time slot is virtually superfluous when you take into account the unpredictable nature of the weather especially if youre at a festival where there is a stage inside a large marquee

one minute you might have 50-100 peeps watching your band - next minute is pissing down and the entire crowd is rammed inside the marquee!

get hold of the PA company / sound guy's contact details and send over your tech rider and stage plan etc, inc channel list and monitor requirements / mixes etc.
You may or may not (read probably won't) get everything you want, but they will at least be forewarned and you'll be thought of as being organised. Take a copy with you too.
Also, check what gear is being provided re backline (if any).

Are you an originals band?
When I did my festival bit years ago (Guilfest, Get Loaded in the Park, larmer tree and others I've forgotten the name of), we had our 'girls' (now wives) going around dishing out stickers (literally sticking them on people) with our band name, web address and our stage time details - it worked as the stages were always rammed when we got on! Also had plectrums made with the web address on them too and a few other goodies to dish out - loads of EP's, badges and stuff.

Oh, and take plenty of water, a hat and loads of wetwipes!!

wet wipes! I just read that and realised how many I got through - and no idea who's they were that I used. Defo on my next list. Other useful stuff is a torch, and extra stands for guitars - often nowhere to put them down.

Yes we are an originals band, and I supplied the Sound guys with a Tech rider with stage plan and all that jazz, with our equipment that we are bringing fully detailed

hmmmmm I like the stickers Idea, I have cards and EP's to dish out with all the details on it. Plectrums is also a good idea, non muso's think its cool to have one in their pocket/wallet.

A Hat as well! I didn't think about that. I better get one.

Won't somebody think of the batteries!!!!!

Put new batteries in everything that has batteries in it. Take a spare of everything reasonable.Trust the stage manager. Don't worry about the front of house sound, you can not do anything about it. Think if you need to relieve yourself at least 10mins before you go on. Keep an eye on the drummer, they always dissapear and it is the rhythm sections job to find him. During performance if you forget what note comes next don't think about it and it will come naturally. Never look around if someone drops a note / beat. Tune up every chance you get as the sun can be a difficult nemesis.Get a group photo of the band after the performance if you can takes seconds lasts a lifetime.

Good luck

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1406102036' post='2508248']
fifty quid to see toploader !!! :o :blink:
[/quote]

Personally with those lineups I wouldn't go if they paid [i]me[/i] fifty quid but it's all down to personal taste ;) Realistically though, when you look at it there are 5 separate playing areas which all have to be set up, broken down and technically supervised during the playing days plus security etc. Then there are the 'big name' acts who won't be coming that cheap even if its Toploader or Happy Mondays :lol: . All in all for £50 a ticket my guess is there will be a good few acts who will be effectively playing for free.

Edited by KevB