Why become a member? ×

Festivals

DogHammer

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1406112707' post='2508387']
Make friends with the stage manager, or whoever has access to your lock-up

(you DO have a lock-up, right?)
[/quote]

Lock up I dont know..... We have a unloading and band equipment 'Storage Area'....

And the phone thing is a very good point!

And as for playing for free, we are getting paid pretty well for it so alls well.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1406117213' post='2508450']
Good luck with it! I've played at Secret Garden Party and Bestival - one was brilliant, the other terrible, and this was largely dictated by the weather. Fingers crossed for sunshine.
[/quote]

Its supposed to cool down a bit by Sunday but I'm sure it will be fine!

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1406048896' post='2507870']
If you haven't played a festival before, it's great fun - because you can see everyone's eyes - something you don't get playing indoors where apart from the front row, everyone is in the dark. I love playing festivals in the daytime. It's not so 'theatrical' the lights doing very little, but the atmosphere works for me. I hope you have a great time.

[/quote]

This. It really is a wonderful feeling to play outdoors in the sunshine, nothing quite like it.

Beautiful pic btw!

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1406116007' post='2508437']
Lock up I dont know..... We have a unloading and band equipment 'Storage Area'....

And the phone thing is a very good point!

And as for playing for free, we are getting paid pretty well for it so alls well.
[/quote]

Excellent, maybe some of the headliners are asking for what they are worth rather than what they[i] think [/i]they are still worth ;) , spreads it round a bit more. I wasn't having a go, just a reply to the point about the £50 tickets and when you think of all the individuals in all the acts plus all the security/tech etc that have to be paid each day it can't go that far. I assume the food/merch stalls pay a fair whack for their pitches which will help put money in but then there is the hire of area where the event is held etc, the overheads must be pretty high. You can see why promoters for these kinds of events start getting twitchy if ticket sales are slow and they are only just into their break-even point. Hope it all goes well.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1406118894' post='2508476']
Excellent, maybe some of the headliners are asking for what they are worth rather than what they[i] think [/i]they are still worth ;) , spreads it round a bit more. I wasn't having a go, just a reply to the point about the £50 tickets and when you think of all the individuals in all the acts plus all the security/tech etc that have to be paid each day it can't go that far. I assume the food/merch stalls pay a fair whack for their pitches which will help put money in but then there is the hire of area where the event is held etc, the overheads must be pretty high. You can see why promoters for these kinds of events start getting twitchy if ticket sales are slow and they are only just into their break-even point. Hope it all goes well.
[/quote]

I see what you mean. I am surprised that we are on the festival at all to be honest let alone getting paid. We aren't known in Dorset or anywhere near there. They hired us based off a listen to our 3 track EP, and they asked what our fee was, and said yes to our first reply!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1406117667' post='2508459']
It really is a wonderful feeling to play outdoors in the sunshine, nothing quite like it.
[/quote]

Unless the sun is directly in your eyes and you are too self conscious to wear sunglasses in case you look like a wannabe superstar :lol:

Bonus points if its windy and you're spending more time moving your hair out of your face than actually playing!

One of the things I've noticed about playing outdoor gigs is the strings feel different to when playing indoors. For some reason they have a more tacky abrasive feel to them and hence your plucking fingers tend to drag rather than slide off,and your fretting fingers require more effort when you need to slide between positions. Both have the potential to affect your timing. I posed this situation on the alembic forum last year sometime when I was doing a load of festivals and Jimmy Johnson, advised me to rub my fingers on the outside of my nose in between numbers as this will make them slightly greasy and help with playing. Usually this works but sometimes when you are hot its a bit too greasy and you have the opposite problem where your fingers move too quickly off the string.
Just be aware of it anyway.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1406132080' post='2508651']
One of the things I've noticed about playing outdoor gigs is the strings feel different to when playing indoors. For some reason they have a more tacky abrasive feel to them and hence your plucking fingers tend to drag rather than slide off,and your fretting fingers require more effort when you need to slide between positions. Both have the potential to affect your timing. I posed this situation on the alembic forum last year sometime when I was doing a load of festivals and Jimmy Johnson, advised me to rub my fingers on the outside of my nose in between numbers as this will make them slightly greasy and help with playing. Usually this works but sometimes when you are hot its a bit too greasy and you have the opposite problem where your fingers move too quickly off the string.
Just be aware of it anyway.
[/quote]

JazzyVee, I have also experienced this. So much so that sometimes when digging in a bit my finger gets stuck on the string. Not like sellotape, but as its slightly tacky then I need to put more force into pulling away from the string. Hard to anticipate while jumping around, singing and playing at the same time!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1406100895' post='2508236']
Lots of good tips there. I would certainly endorse:[list=1]
[*]get their early
[*]be pleasant to the staff - whatever their role (I wouldn't want their stress ever)
[*]don't over-do the hospitality (until after the gig) - remembering point 2 above still!!
[*]make sure you can use any of your gear before you just unload it - swapping over gear takes time - the sound crew will be able to refuse if you don't adhere to 2.
[*]think about what you each want in your monitors so the monitor guy isn't wasting time while you all debate what you want
[*]enjoy the experience, festivals are great fun and a brilliant atmosphere.
[*]have a good one!
[/list]
[/quote]

EXACTLY THIS ^^^ ensure your well reheased and your up to speed on your set. Be solid and strong on the bass and simply enjoy the occassion.....it'll be over before you know it! Its a good time to play and if the weather is good that will be a bonus! You can have a few drinks after and watch some decent bands. Let us know how you get on B)

Make sure the tech spec/ channel count is correct as of today. (If your mate dave, driving the van suddenly wants to get up and play tambourine it can cause issues)

If you have any in ear monitors PLEASE include these in your spec as the frequencies will need to be compliant

Set up as much as humanly possible BEFORE getting on stage.

When on stage remain SILENT until asked to make a noise, and maintain eye contact with the monitor engineer as much as poss.

I find on a busy stage the best way to get levels quickly into a monitor is for everyone together to raise your hand if u want an instrument, eg kick drum. When u have enough put your hand down. That way visual feedback for the mons guys is simple

Do not put beer/water any where near anything electrical or cables. It sounds obvious but if camera people are wandering about, they WILL NOT see your drink.......

Find a towel if one is not provided (they should be)

Stick to time, if you have a 30 min slot, and you play 32, u just shafted the next band, and could be fined. Poor etiquette...
If 8 bands all play 5 mins over then the headliner does not get to play......... Trust the stage manager, they are your friend.

Although this sounds like the Ten Commandments, have fun and be polite. If you are inexperienced let the stage manager and crew know. They would much rather coach a band properly than deal with rock star egos, especially if the egos are clueless!!!

NEVER GO OFF SCRIPT ( no jam endings or double choruses if not rehearsed!)

HAVE FUN even if it's going Pete tong. The crowd might not even know,

HAVE FUN

HAVE FUN HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

R

Festival went very well. Got some good feedback. Will sort some photos out later on. Maybe in a how was your gig last night post, maybe on its own with some shots of the other bands.

Thanks for the tips, got backstage and met Bez from the Mondays too!

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1406639662' post='2513292']
Forever Sun in Dorset. Only max capacity of 5000 but was pretty good :D
[/quote]

This should be my local festival but due to their 'no under 14s' policy, I can't go (and won't - my choice as a single parent).

It didn't look particularly busy when I drove past on Saturday on the way to the beach but it has survived two years so far...and last year was very very wet!

Glad you had a good time. :)

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1406639662' post='2513292']
Forever Sun in Dorset. Only max capacity of 5000 but was pretty good :D
[/quote]

My friends went and blew out a very good local one so I will find out from her
what the deal was...

I was there at the weekend and it's a great little festival, it could maybe do with a few more people but it's only the second year. I missed your set ( Fracture?) but the three stand out acts for me were John Otway, Professor Elemental and Happy Mondays.
And the choice of cider was good too.

the no kids rule probably has both a positive and negative impact.

If you live locally, it's definitely worth a look.

All the excellent above...especially the "being polite" stuff.. PLUS

You will feel very exposed, ha you'll even be able to se ur band mates in action for the first time but it will be fine and great fun.

Don't worry too much about "your sound" as it will all sound very strange on such a big stage especially if the monitor balance is out of whack.

And most important of all...

50% of the crowd will be wishing they were up there with you so....

Be a wannabee!! Dress cool, play cool, look cool, your the one who's up there not the crowd so make the most of it..it's your show.

Edited by notable9

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1406719180' post='2514014']
Keep your backline volumes reasonable. The sound guy will make sure it sounds good out front if you give him some headroom to work with. If you're blasting out from the back you're effectively removing yourself from his control
[/quote]

Only if you are talking about small P.A's and stages. Any decent stage will have a mon engr anyway.