Why become a member? ×

Can you help with a bit of combo advice?

mildmanofrock

Hi folks,

A friend's church needs a quality bass combo. The congregation is around 150 people and the church's budget is approximately £300. Could you recommend a decent, reliable combo for that purpose?

Many thanks for your help!

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

A second hand Peavey Bam 210 would be my recommendation - fantastic combo only downside is the weight.
If you can live with the weight of it (maybe once in situ in church then not being moved around often?) then it will do all you want it to.
There is one for sale on here as well.

That sounds like a good call there. Peavey gear is virtually indestructable, and sounds good. As said, if you don`t need to move it around I reckon that would do the job nicely.

I`d also recommend a used Fender Bassman 210 if you can get hold of one. That would be in budget. Sometimes crop up on here and evilbay.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1406058770' post='2507972']
Peavey is the way forward. Quite literally indestructible. To Lozz's point though, only as long as you don't have to move it - they're flipping heavy. My old 50 watt combo weighed 25KG!
[/quote]

Yep - the BAM210 is FANTASTIC, I can't praise highly enough - tons of amp modelling effects, standard effects built in as well.
If I had a gig to leave an amp in one place I would get another Peavey Bam.
Weight if I remember rightly is 96lb(!!), but does come with wheels.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1406060843' post='2508008']

Yep - the BAM210 is FANTASTIC, I can't praise highly enough - tons of amp modelling effects, standard effects built in as well.
If I had a gig to leave an amp in one place I would get another Peavey Bam.
Weight if I remember rightly is 96lb(!!), but does come with wheels.
[/quote]

I always took Peavey's naming to be quite literal.

Built to withstand any 'TNT', 'BAM' or 'TKO' you throw at them. :P

I have to agree on that. I will recommend Peavey stuff all day long - my Combo 300 is from 1978. It lives in the practice room where it gets a beating from noisy metal bands all week long (we rent the room out to other bands to help pay the rent). Still going strong.

I can't speak for the new stuff (with digital gizmos in or not). My advice is to old school, if it can live in situ, an old Peavey or Trace combo is solid, and both should be easy to fix most problems. Most modern stuff is designed with a finite lifespan, wheras the old stuff was built to last, and be repaired if required...

the great thing for you is that right now everyone is getting in to these lightweight car stereo amps that fit in your watch pocket, so the old heavy stuff is terribly out of fashion - and therefore cheap!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1406115335' post='2508428']
The Peavey looks great, but I'd be worried about the digital gizmos inside, long-term.

Think I'd be looking for the-simpler-the-better.
[/quote]

As above, the old school Peavey 'tanks' such as the TKO, TNT or BAM combos can be picked up very cheaply second hand as they are the complete opposite of what is en vogue in the amp market at the moment (heavy and big as opposed to compact and bijou) and they are as no frills as they come.

Likewise the current 'Max' range of combos are super simple - volume, 3 band EQ, built in tuner and that's about it. You can get the daddy of the range (1x15, 300watts If memory serves) within your budget too.

Thank you for all your thoughts and recommendations, everyone, I appreciate it! I've passed on your ideas but just heard that the church wants to buy new (they want the comfort of a warranty) and their budget is now £500. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

That opens your options out - GAK have several combos which would do the trick - there's a Warwick 15" combo for £419, or the Ibanez Promethean at £317, the Hartke Kickback 15" is £424, and the new Peavey Max 15 is £279

I'd still go with [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-max-115-mkii-bass-amp/83682?gclid=CPbS15DB4L8CFSoEwwodQ4oArA"]Peavey[/url] personally. Solid gear that should last for years beyond the warranty.

Trace Elliot new will be just out of reach.
Ibanez Promethean and Hartke Kickback mentioned above, but I have 1st and 2nd hand experience of reliability issues with both.

The new [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-rumble-500-v3/92779?gclid=CLnCqd_B4L8CFQeWtAodzAMAfg"]Fender Rumble[/url] stuff looks promising, looks like they have made good use of the Genz Benz tech they recently bought out, but I haven't tried these.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1406289110' post='2510193']
That opens your options out - GAK have several combos which would do the trick - there's a Warwick 15" combo for £419, or the Ibanez Promethean at £317, the Hartke Kickback 15" is £424, and the new Peavey Max 15 is £279
[/quote]
[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1406293101' post='2510267']
I'd still go with [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-max-115-mkii-bass-amp/83682?gclid=CPbS15DB4L8CFSoEwwodQ4oArA"]Peavey[/url] personally. Solid gear that should last for years beyond the warranty.

Trace Elliot new will be just out of reach.
Ibanez Promethean and Hartke Kickback mentioned above, but I have 1st and 2nd hand experience of reliability issues with both.

The new [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-rumble-500-v3/92779?gclid=CLnCqd_B4L8CFQeWtAodzAMAfg"]Fender Rumble[/url] stuff looks promising, looks like they have made good use of the Genz Benz tech they recently bought out, but I haven't tried these.
[/quote]

Thank you! I've passed these recommendations on.

Cheers,

Steve