Why become a member? ×

Active bass pre amp

Thunderbird

Hi
Not really sure what you mean by beefing it up.
If your looking for a fatter bass sound a compressor sometimes works and usually because of the nature of a compressor there is a gain knob, Ovnilabs is a great website with hundreds of compressor reviews.
If your looking for more control over your sound then maybe a graphic EQ pedal, Boss and Ashdown make some good ones but there are loads out there
If it's a bit more dirt and grind then you need to look at a distortion or drive pedal, I use a dual drive Ashdown Nate Mendel.
I have the Behringer DI box it's basically a copy of the Tech 21 Sansamp and yes I have used it with active bass and yes you can control your sound a bit more, at the moment I use an Aphex Bass Exciter which tweets your bass and treble more or less and is probably what your looking for or something similar, they come up for sale every now and then around £50 but there are lots of similar pedals with a rotary EQ / shaping usually they come with compression and drive etc on one pedal.
Finally if it's clean flat boost your after then you could do worse than try the Seymour Duncan boost pedal, I think you can drive up to 25db of CLEAN gain into your amp again second around £30
I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on pedals from people on this site, GOOD LUCK

Thanks for that Reversebird very good post I think the boost of my clean signal is what I would like to do I have tried a bit of overdrive with not getting the results I wanted I was really hoping to make my clean signal sound fatter and fuller so want to keep my sound but enrich it a bit :)

Hi
Boost will certainly get you more out put but I think you need to look at either a rotary EQ like the Aphex bass exciter or a Graphic EQ. I can't see a boost fattening your sound. Try a cheap Behringer graphic EQ and see if you get the sound the sound you want and then go from there. You could do it even more cheaply by playing with your EQ on your amp, obviously depending on how good your amp is? Before you buy anything though have a look at some of the suggestions I made on you tube and see if any of those reviews gives you something close to what your after. Good luck :-))

[quote name='Reversebird' timestamp='1406064170' post='2508073']
Hi
Boost will certainly get you more out put but I think you need to look at either a rotary EQ like the Aphex bass exciter or a Graphic EQ. I can't see a boost fattening your sound. Try a cheap Behringer graphic EQ and see if you get the sound the sound you want and then go from there. You could do it even more cheaply by playing with your EQ on your amp, obviously depending on how good your amp is? Before you buy anything though have a look at some of the suggestions I made on you tube and see if any of those reviews gives you something close to what your after. Good luck :-))
[/quote]Cheers mate that is great stuff youtube here I come :)