Why become a member? ×

The Auditioning Process

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]The audition process has changed for me as I've gotten older and I hope wiser. [/font]

[font=Arial]What's important when auditioning a new member? It will vary depending on the genre, location and age of the band. [/font]

[font=Arial]Originals and cover bands will also need to be taken into consideration. There might be some common denominator's. And lets say for the sake of discussion we are talking about bar level bands not pros doing it for a living. Here are a few thoughts;[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Experience[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Skill/ chops[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Transportation[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Gear[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Appearance[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Does the candidate know what he/she is looking for in a band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Does the candidate know how to be in a band[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=Arial]Age ( that's a real tough one)[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=Arial]I'm 60 and it use to be you always wanted the guy with the best skills and chops. Now I know that candidate is not always the best choice. [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]Another thought, some are looking to join bands for the wrong reasons, like access to substances, drink and women. Some guys out there are good musicians but lack the social skills to be in a band.[/font]

[font=Arial]The bullet point on knowing what a guy is looking for in a band. Here in the States, if a guy is looking to gig steady and make some $$$$ , he/she is probably not a good candidate for an originals band. If your looking for creativity and artistic integrity you might not be a match for a cover band.[/font]

[font=Arial]Please share any of your thoughts on this topic.[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

From my point of view appearance is the least important for covers bands but I can see it being a big importance for an orginals band.

Similar with the age thing as well.

Personally if my band needed a new band member and two people auditioned, if one was older but could play well and the other looked the part but wasnt any good - I would hands down pick the older guy everyday.

I'm 21 and its music at the end of the day, looking good doesnt get people dancing...

Edited by Weststarx

1. await some evidence to support competence: youtube, soundcloud etc
2. meet for a pint to ensure they're not an idiot (advise a responsible adult of your whereabouts and expected return time)
3. meet at home (theirs preferably) for low-volume play-through of rehearsal material
4. spend actual time and money in a studio with other bandmates

Being able to learn at the same pace is important. We auditioned a new singer last week. We only expected her to go through 3-4 songs maximum. She sang 8 in total...3 of which she had never heard before. She got her iPad out, brought up the lyrics, had a quick listen and pretty much nailed each song. We pretty much work at the same pace and we were very impressed about how quickly she learnt the songs. I have had too many occasions whereby you feel like someone is dragging their heels and not progressing as quickly as you need them to, despite of their skills and commitment.

the thing for me which is most important is that i need to be able to get on with the person! regardless of music i need to be able to hangout with them, then we can start thinking about music, as my band are originals the music thing is a bit easier, can they write a tune, for a guitarist my pet hate is ppl who dnt have a tuner!

andy

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1406109992' post='2508348']
Hi Blue, the biggie for me that you have missed out of your bullet points is personality. A decent human being who will be part of the team trumps all the chops in the world.
[/quote]

I think the OP covers that with his "Does the candidate know how to be in a band?" bullet point.

Speaking of "Good People", I have been in my current band for 3 years ( I'm a one band only type of guy ) and at every gig without fail ,as soon as I start tearing down our guitarist wife who does marketing and some administartive stuff for the band pays me in cash. There's no band fund and theres never any of that we will pay everyone next week or at rehearsal. It's just a cool way to handle it cause I need the $$$$.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406055591' post='2507920']
[size=4][font=Arial].....some are looking to join bands for the wrong reasons, like access to substances, drink and women.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I've definitely been joining the wrong kind of bands if this is a option....

On a slightly more contstructive note... One of my projects has recently been auditioning for a drummer, tried loads but settled on a guy a month or so back. The final say is with the singer/songwriter... I think too much emphasis has been placed on the "nice guy, team player" thing... I mean your not going to work with someone who is so obnoxious that they bring the whole thing down, but I'd rather go for someone whose playing made the band better that just choose someone who is a nice guy to hang out with.... We are after all here to make music first and foremost.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1406145899' post='2508826']
I think the OP covers that with his "Does the candidate know how to be in a band?" bullet point.
[/quote]

Yes, probably does, although this possibly points more towards the practicality of being in a band - turning up on time, helping with set-up/breakdown, learning the songs, whereas personality to me would would have more emphasis on the individual and how they interact with the rest of the band/audience.

To be honest, remember the people you are auditioning are looking for a band as well.
Be prepared to stop if someone hits all buttons as they will also be of most interest to the next band.
Once they have a job, you lose them.
Don't mess about 9/10 will be time wasters who can not do the job.

When the "man" walks in, have the respect and offer ready on the table there and then.

Thinking someone even better might be along loses you the chance to have a great player in your band.

Edited by spacey

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1406207744' post='2509319']
Thinking someone even better might be along loses you the chance to have a great player in your band.
[/quote]

Yes, that was the problem with all those bands I subsequently didn't join.
They should have snapped me up while they had the chance! :lol: