Why become a member? ×

Sending a bass in the post

mike_b

Hello fellow basschatters,

Just sold a bass and need to post it to the buyer (UK postage not sending abroad), anyone got any tips for posting the bass (will be sent in a hardcase) and any courier services people would recommend using?

Any help would be grealy appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys,

Mike

Don't - arrange to meet somewhere halfway!!!

I sent a bass earlier in the year through Citylink. Had an on -line chat with one of their representatives over insurance costs to which I decided to go with them. The bass was packaged very well inside a hard case and then packed again into a guitar cardboard carton.

It arrived damaged. The end strap pin had pierced the case causing that to break and there was some form of fracture split to the lacquer on the guitar itself. I'm fully insured though right? NO!!!

When it came to making the claim, hidden in the small print was the clause that the maximum payout for damage in transit would be £100 irrespective as to how much insurance was taken out in the first place.

Was I misinformed? Yes. If I'd have known the above then I wouldn't have sent it...

Be warned and check the maximum amount you can claim for.

If sending via post, I`ve used Interparcel. Their economy service is sent via UPS. So far I`ve had efficent reliable service from them, and usually, although only quoted for 2-day delivery, most times they`ve got there the day after collection.

I've use Parcelforce to ship a bass without any problems before. It cost about £20 insured. I sent it in a bass box, wrapped in bubble wrap with particular attention paid to supporting the neck and the headstock. I also put a layer of bubble wrap and cardboard between the strings and the fretboard to try and avoid damaging the frets.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1406070134' post='2508158']
If sending via post, I`ve used Interparcel. Their economy service is sent via UPS. So far I`ve had efficent reliable service from them, and usually, although only quoted for 2-day delivery, most times they`ve got there the day after collection.
[/quote]

This.
In a hardcase it's especially easy.
Pack the internals around the guitar with foam, bubble wrap etc.
I then wrap the whole case in loads of bubble wrap and stick loads of fragile tape over it.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1406114405' post='2508414']
I've use Parcelforce to ship a bass without any problems before. It cost about £20 insured. I sent it in a bass box, wrapped in bubble wrap with particular attention paid to supporting the neck and the headstock. I also put a layer of bubble wrap and cardboard between the strings and the fretboard to try and avoid damaging the frets.
[/quote]

Parcelforce don't insure musical instruments. You may have paid the premium, but they wouldn't have paid out if you'd claimed.

Meet somewhere, train fare can be cheap, coach fare even cheaper !

:)

I've use Parcelforce to ship a bass without any problems before. It cost about £20 insured.
[/quote]

It wasn't insured. Check the small print, and you'll find that Parcelfarce wont honour claims for musical instruments. They'll still sell you the insurance though, and wont refund it.

EDIT: hadn't read on to see that ambient had already said the same thing ...

Edited by chriswareham

To echo what's already been said...
I've never had any problem with Interparcel. I have only used ParcelForce once along time ago and although it went without a hitch I was most dismayed when I found out later about their insurance policy for musical instruments as the lady in the PO had charged me extra for it. Plus, I've read enough horror stories on here so I think they are best avoided.

All delivery companies will have horror stories about them somewhere on the internet, but I've had particularly crap service from myHermes, who I would avoid like the plague. And as said above, it's a waste of money insuring a bass because it won't be covered.

Best thing is to make sure it's packed as well as it possibly can be, then use a tracked method. If it's packed and tracked it's unlikely to get damaged and unlikely to go missing. I've had no problems using Parcelforce express24 or express48, but that's not to say they are perfect by any means.

Every delivery company is going to have a certain percentage of deliveries go awry even with the best intentions. You need to understand that if your delivery goes boobs-aloft there isn't much you'll be able to do about it. If you want to be 100% certain then you either deliver it yourself or you get the buyer to collect.

Edited by discreet

Wonder what places like Thomann do for insurance. Had a bass arrive this week using ParcelForce (via DHL) so it was presumably not covered if I reported it back broken?

As it happens it was faulty so is going back but that was not transit related....

Interparcel all the way. I've sent basses many times using their premium service (also UPS). They are competitively priced, prompt and reliable.
Found out about them here on BC, they seem to be the one most people here use now.

Tried Parcel force once and although they delivered the bass with no probs, they were bloody expensive.

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1406068197' post='2508125']
Don't - arrange to meet somewhere halfway!!!

I sent a bass earlier in the year through Citylink. Had an on -line chat with one of their representatives over insurance costs to which I decided to go with them. The bass was packaged very well inside a hard case and then packed again into a guitar cardboard carton.

It arrived damaged.............[/quote]

One of my suppliers has recently ditched CityLink due to numerous complaints. In my case one of their drivers, two days in a row, lied that he'd attempted delivery. Firstly the recipients CCTV proved he hadn't been near - and when challenged CityLinks own GPS confirmed it.

I've used interparcel to send basses as far away as Australia and Canada with no issues.

I normally put the hard case in a box and seal it all up with loads of gaffa tape.

I've sent smaller items via myhermes twice and won't use them again, they were useless

Edited by Johngh

As a receiving customer I have found all of the companies bad at some point apart from Parcelforce and DPD. UPS are the most shocking (lying about it being left with someone, not leaving cards, not even attempting to open gate (as I watched out of window))

DPD are the only company that actually use the technology available. Message send before parcel dispatched so you can arrange a different day before the first attempt. Message received on day of delivery in the morning stating what time parcel will arrive (within an hour) and it has always met that time.

Missed deliveries and having to attempt to deliver the same parcel more than once and then store it, handle it etc,. must be the biggest monetary waste the companies have but only DPD seem to be doing anything to help it.

I always use Parcelforce as it is the easiest as there are literally hundreds of POs I can use so suits me best. The prices are high but the buyer is paying the postage not me....

[/quote]
I have - they totally screwed my prosebass - the box looked like it had been machine gunned and they managed to smash the nut off despite it being more heavily packed then you describe

Not their fault of course so no payout ...

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1406119746' post='2508491']
Wonder what places like Thomann do for insurance. Had a bass arrive this week using ParcelForce (via DHL) so it was presumably not covered if I reported it back broken?
[/quote]

Businesses can afford to not insure stuff.

When you're sending out thousands of parcels daily, the saving you make by not paying insurance premiums easily covers the few that might have required insurance.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1406125988' post='2508568']
Businesses can afford to not insure stuff.

When you're sending out thousands of parcels daily, the saving you make by not paying insurance premiums easily covers the few that might have required insurance.
[/quote]

In my experience businesses will have their own insurance to cover these things, rather than rely on the carrier who's insurance is always rubbish

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1406123959' post='2508548']
As a receiving customer I have found all of the companies bad at some point apart from Parcelforce and DPD. UPS are the most shocking (lying about it being left with someone, not leaving cards, not even attempting to open gate (as I watched out of window))

DPD are the only company that actually use the technology available. Message send before parcel dispatched so you can arrange a different day before the first attempt. Message received on day of delivery in the morning stating what time parcel will arrive (within an hour) and it has always met that time.

Missed deliveries and having to attempt to deliver the same parcel more than once and then store it, handle it etc,. must be the biggest monetary waste the companies have but only DPD seem to be doing anything to help it.

I always use Parcelforce as it is the easiest as there are literally hundreds of POs I can use so suits me best. The prices are high but the buyer is paying the postage not me....
[/quote]

I've had things delivered by DPD, they do seem to be rather good, it's nice to know when to expect them, they send a text message on the day of delivery giving a time frame of when to expect them, you can change this if it's not suitable.

Don't use Parcelforce, as mentioned earlier, they'll take your money for the insurance, but they don't cover musical instruments.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1406124315' post='2508554']
I have - they totally screwed my prosebass - the box looked like it had been machine gunned and they managed to smash the nut off despite it being more heavily packed then you describe

Not their fault of course so no payout ...
[/quote]

Same experience here with Parcelforce. Sent a very well packaged bass away for some work, but it arrived at the luthier severely damaged with signs of both impact and pressure damage.

I read somewhere about someone sending a bolt on necked bass in 2 parts. Seems like a good idea, especially if there's no hard case.

You could detach the neck, and really go to town with bubble wrap, use a large, deep, rectangular box.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406227047' post='2509605']
I read somewhere about someone sending a bolt on necked bass in 2 parts. Seems like a good idea, especially if there's no hard case.

You could detach the neck, and really go to town with bubble wrap, use a large, deep, rectangular box.

[/quote]
Or two joined together - it worked really well for me