Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones M500 hiss and other stuff.

siphillips

So guys needing your help , anyone with a pjb m500 help me out ?

Bought the amp head brand new about 6 weeks ago and it went back for a repair as I could smell burning, the amp was making a strange through the speaker on the first 7 secs of boot up. Got it back today and try said they replaced the main power board.

Ok... So switching the amp back on after it's return it's previous faults have gone however .. I'm not sure if the amp is acting different from when it was fixed. For example when I turn the input dial to 0 and turn the master up I still managed to get sound ( not sure if this happend before)

Secondly when the master is set 3/4 of the way hiss becomes very apparent. This hiss is hugely increased when the graphic is boosted. ( again not sure if this happend previously but I think it was silent)

Finally even form initial boot up the fan seems to be running full on which is fairly loud.

Can anyone check these symptoms with there own m500 to see if this is the norm? Any help would be great.

Si

Hello Si
Given what you've said above and what's been said in various threads on here previously, I think the consensus would be that you need to send it back. My M500 was very quiet, certainly compared to my Flightcase which went back as described in the thread Michael linked to above.
Hope it all works out, keep us posted
Chris