Why become a member? ×

Starting out with pedals

gingerfish

Hi guys,

right, I am finally entering into the world of pedals after having played for a number of years and am looking for some advice on a power supply unit.

Pedals I have so far are on a darkglass B3K and a Big Muff but there are a couple of others I have my eye on, probably a boost pedal of some description and a tuner (turbo tuner maybe). Mostly going to be using these for home use now so not really looking at a board but I do need a power supply unit.

Can someone give me some idea what I should be looking to start with? Until I have more pedals am I best just getting a single unit or should I buy a brick of some description?

Cheers in advance for any help.

I have a couple of 9v PSUs from www.pedalstuff.com which have done me fine for many years, but I can't seem to find them on the new site any more

I know the 'One-Spot' units get a lot of praise.

If you're planning on running a few more pedals in the future then getting one that can supply ~1000mA is an idea, then you'll never run out of juice.

I've had the fuzz pedal for a while if I'm honest (went through a wanna be Cliff Burton phase). I can see myself using the darkglass a lot more and I've been looking for a tuner pedal for a long time too, just working out my options.

So for 2-4 pedals the general opinion is just to use a standard power supply with a daisy chain rather than a block?

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1406117333' post='2508456']
So for 2-4 pedals the general opinion is just to use a standard power supply with a daisy chain rather than a block?
[/quote]

I'd say so - served me fine for years, as long as the PSU's good qualtiy and can deliver enought current all your pedals. You can get some problems daisy-chaining digital pedals due to noise being fed back into the supply and annoying the other pedals on your chain.

I'm sure you'll get differing opinons tho !

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1406121496' post='2508514']
If you're looking to get a tuner, many can be used to power other pedals via a daisy chain.
[/quote]
Is three an advantage of this over having the tuner in the daisy chain? i always thought it was for powering just one other pedal.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1406153690' post='2508947']

Is three an advantage of this over having the tuner in the daisy chain? i always thought it was for powering just one other pedal.
[/quote]

I think the power just routes through so essentially just the same, I've ran the official boss daisy chain to a few pedals out of a TU-2 and now use a daisy chain that the PSU plugs straight in to, both so the job fine!

I think when you start with fancy digital pedals and the like you need to look at good power supplies, all my pedals are analogue dirt and draw very little current.