Why become a member? ×

Anyone with expertise in both Reaper and sysex?

Zenitram

I'd like to make Reaper record parameter changes (cut-off, resonance, etc.) in real time (or not, I suppose) with my Roland Alpha Juno 2. So far I can't find a way for it to be done.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

Windows 7 32bit
MBox 2 audio/midi interface
Midi cables correctly wired up
Juno sysex enabled

Edit:
Hmm, it seems this just isn't a thing that can be done, due to the nature of sysex.

Edited by Zenitram

I don't know if this is any use to you - there's a section on the CC messages output by the Alpha Juno series in there:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sysex.php

I owned an Alpha Juno 1 about 10 years ago but never went any further than recording note on/off - didn't try recording any CC transmissions. From what I remember about the interface, you programmed it one parameter at a time with the Alpha dial - could you not leave (for example) the Cutoff parameter active, play and then adjust the cutoff with the dial while recording the MIDI from it?

As a quick check, try something like Bome's SendSX (or MIDIox) with your Juno connected to your PC via MIDI. Rotate the Alpha dial and see if it gives you a burst of data into the 'Received' window. If it records the dial travelling through the parameters, it may be possible.

The Alpha Junos don't deal in CC but in sysex, which is the problem.

Rotating the alpha dial while recording doesn't do anything in Reaper.

In Midiox it does see the burst of data in the Received window as I turn the dial: how could I use that to my advantage in Reaper? Any idea? Midiox looks completely confusing -- I couldn't even say what it actually does, or is supposed to do.

Thanks!

Sorry - I'm thinking back to front again - forgot the older Roland synths didn't transmit CC!

There was this thread, which although stating it can't be done within Reaper itself, reckons you can convert Sysex to CC with Bome's MIDI Translate.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=109112

My use of MIDIox and SendSx was just as a tool for verifying that the MIDI ports worked on synths I'd bought, backing up/transferring patches/banks etc, sadly - I didn't really delve beyond note on/off (most of the synths I had at the time didn't even have MIDI).

A good place to ask, would be the 'Help' sub-forum of Vintage Synth Explorer forums - I used to frequent there a few years ago and there were many helpful and knowledgeable folks on there.

I have just about managed it using Ctrlr, which I had looked at in the past and found too confusing to comprehend. Now I can control the synth using a VST interface within Reaper. There's just one last niggle of working out how to make the automation work, which I can do with audio tracks and with VST instruments, but this Ctrlr one might take some working out.

But generally, a success, and for free.

After that I need to work out how to map the VST parameters to my BCR2000 (or Remote SL), and I'm good to go.

Edit: that sounds confusing even to me.

Basically, it works by adding Ctrlr as a VST instrument to the midi track in Reaper, then opening a PG-300 emulator within that VST, and the parameters on it now control the parameters of the a-Juno.
Automation yet to be worked out (all the parameters in the Track/Envelope automation window just have numbers rather than names, and don't seem to be responding to anything) (but I'll work it out).

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1406198950' post='2509207']...it works by adding Ctrlr as a VST instrument to the midi track in Reaper...[/quote]

I may be wrong (yours is a rather specific set-up...), but I think that automation in Reaper MIDI tracks works through the MIDI editor window, not the normal 'vst' envelope tracks. In the MIDI editor, there'll be a 'velocity' window; add extra envelope windows with the drop-down menu on the left side.
This may not apply to your needs, in which case, apologies.