Why become a member? ×

Marking equipment as yours ?

ambient

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks.

Imagine you've found 'the one', your bass that you intend to keep hold of.

Having seen on here a few times recently about gear being stolen, how would you go about marking a bass to deter would be thieves ?

:)

My idea is simple;I have basses and guitars everyone else laughs at. Yes; Hofners. My 6-string fretless already carries my name on the headstock.
I have photos of our gear, with their serial n°s; mostly on a stage somewhere with at least one or other of the family. It's all pretty easy stuff to identify (I don't have any s/b 'p's, for instance...).

A good blast of urine does the trick. Also works if you want dibs on the front passenger seat in the car.

I also tape a bit of card with my name and number under the scratch plate and/or access plate on the back. If I had my own business cards, I'd use those. If I were shimming the neck, I'd mark the shim in a similar fashion. I'd do the UV pen thing too if I had one. None of this would deter thieves though - it's just a way of doubly confirming the bass is mine should it turn up in Cash Converters.

If I really wanted to deter thieves I'd stencil all my basses with naked pictures of Freddie Starr. Or maybe switch to playing the tuba.

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1406161121' post='2508997']
I scratch my national insurance number under the scratch plate , neckplate or the bridge , that way if your bass ever gets stolen and turns up in crackconverters or somewhere else you can prove it to the rozzers that its yours .
[/quote]

This + photographs of the serial number if you dont have the original receipt, even a photo of yourself with the instrument, or the serial number and a newspaper front page to help prove the date.
Just knowing the serial number, which is on the headstock for all to see wont really prove much.

Altering the appearance in a noticeable way [size=4]so it can always be spotted even at a distance is[/size][size=4] good. 5 years down the line you might spot someone playing it.[/size]

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1406161977' post='2509001']...the serial number and a newspaper front page to help prove the date...
[/quote]

No, this trick is for kidnappers who wish to prove that their hostage is (was..?) still alive at such-and-such a date, usually recent. Anyone can take a picture of an [i]old [/i]newspaper, well after its publication date. It doesn't show ownership at the original date of the paper. Stems from watching too many Yankee films, I wouldn't wonder. :mellow:
Just sayin'; the rest is pukka stuff.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1406162326' post='2509002']
All of the above are great for identifying the bass if it does get pinched but are they a deterrent as the OP states?

Are there any real deterrents for an opportunist thief?
[/quote]

Yes, as stated above. Collect Hofners. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1406162364' post='2509003']
No, this trick is for kidnappers who wish to prove that their hostage is (was..?) still alive at such-and-such a date, usually recent. Anyone can take a picture of an [i]old [/i]newspaper, well after its publication date. It doesn't show ownership at the original date of the paper. Stems from watching too many Yankee films, I wouldn't wonder. :mellow:
[/quote]

Failing that. Post a picture on tinterwebs of you with the serial number. Date will always be the same on that?

But yes, if you don't want gear stolen, buy a Hofner.

I scratch my national insurance number under the scratch plate , neckplate or the bridge , that way if your bass ever gets stolen and turns up in crackconverters or somewhere else you can prove it to the rozzers that its yours .
[/quote]

What if, as has happened to me, somebody nicks your NI number though?
I spent ages trying to prove that I wasn't a chef working at Canary Wharf a few years back, it was a f***ing nightmare.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1406181334' post='2509028']
Don't leave your gear unattended.
That is all.
[/quote]

Yep. Any amount of marking, whether visible or invisible, is unlikely to deter an opportunist thief . . . especially if the bass is in a case and the thief doesn't even know what they are stealing. That why it's opportunistic - steal first, check what it is later. If it turns out that the bass is effectively unsaleable because of makings etc, the thieving scumbag can just chuck it in a skip (or worse) and move on to the next steal. No big deal for them, but lots of grief for the owner.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406188663' post='2509077']
Yep. Any amount of marking, whether visible or invisible, is unlikely to deter an opportunist thief . . . especially if the bass is in a case and the thief doesn't even know what they are stealing. That why it's opportunistic - steal first, check what it is later. If it turns out that the bass is effectively unsaleable because of makings etc, the thieving scumbag can just chuck it in a skip (or worse) and move on to the next steal. No big deal for them, but lots of grief for the owner.
[/quote]

If your really paranoid about it, how about putting / hiding a cheap small pay as you go phone in the case with it ? £5 or so with a sim card from Morrisons, and sign up to one of those sites track your kids phone, Cheap tracking for anything up to a van load of gear, but dont forget to put the phone on silent, they send texts to tell you the phones being tracked.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1406162364' post='2509003']
[/quote]

Yes, only you know about the newspaper. So if theres a dispute over ownership, and the other guy swears he owned it from new, or for years...

Every little helps.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1406190416' post='2509098']

If your really paranoid about it, how about putting / hiding a cheap small pay as you go phone in the case with it ? £5 or so with a sim card from Morrisons, and sign up to one of those sites track your kids phone, Cheap tracking for anything up to a van load of gear, but dont forget to put the phone on silent, they send texts to tell you the phones being tracked.
[/quote]
Cool idea!
Mini Global GPS Tracker with GPRS connection http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XDQUQE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_H4m0tb0VSSR2K9NY?ie=UTF8

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1406193406' post='2509130']
Mini Global GPS Tracker with GPRS connection [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XDQUQE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_H4m0tb0VSSR2K9NY?ie=UTF8"]http://www.amazon.co...SR2K9NY?ie=UTF8[/url]
[/quote]

Good idea - battery lasts 24-36 hours so you'd need to make sure it's fully charged before use.
If gear was taken from a rehearsal room (for example) the battery could run out before you learn of the theft.

[/quote]

Yep - just what I've always done - postcodes can change, as can names, but the need to pay yer stamp...

...always with us ;)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1406184413' post='2509043']
What if, as has happened to me, somebody nicks your NI number though?
I spent ages trying to prove that I wasn't a chef working at Canary Wharf a few years back, it was a f***ing nightmare.
[/quote]

True, but if you've hidden the markings, it's just a unique number.

Edited by ahpook