Why become a member? ×

best active bass £500-£1000?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406212473' post='2509379']
Thanks for all feedback so far. I have tried the G&L and LOVED the tones but with a nut width of 44mm it's beastly on my hands. If they made it with a narrower neck, this would be the one.
[/quote]

You'll be after one of these then...

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/M-2000/index.asp

The M2000 has the same body/pickups, a more versatile EQ and a skinny neck.

Thread closed :P

Edited by theyellowcar

Slimmish necks will limit you a bit, but not too much.

COnsider ....

1990's Ibanez SR Prestige MIJ, Not played the current SR1200/1800 range, but they are not quite as special as the prestige stuff.
Yamaha TRB4 (I love these. One day I will get around to buying one of my own)
Warwick STreamer LX or Fortress
Stingray Classic or Ray 34CA (has that slim neck)
Lakland 44-01 (I prefer these to the 44-02), if you can cope with the looks
G&L - the M2000 has the slimmest neck of the non-J bass G&L tributes, but at 41mm is still a bit wide for me. Oh, just forgot - the SB-2 (great bass but that's passive)
Spector - THe EURO basses are good but might have slightly too wide necks for you. Perhaps the Legend Classic ..... has a 40mm nut and they don't make them out of basswood any more.

I'm ignoring Jazz basses as I simply don't like them, but obviously if you like thin, weedy neck pickup tones, then they are worth considering too.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1406201392' post='2509236']Active basses can vary greatly in the sounds they produce depending on the type of preamp... If your after something HiFi and punchy you can't go far wrong with a stingray to be honest.[/quote]

I picked up my Sterling for £800 and it's got an incredibly versatile range and plays really nicely - can't recommend it enough, Stingray would probably be almost as good ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1406238448' post='2509762']
Folks have mentioned Warwick Streamer LXs but you could find a pukka used SSI for under £1k, which is frankly a steal.
[/quote]

Those things are pure tone machines. I would LOVE one of those!

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406212473' post='2509379']
Thanks for all feedback so far. I have tried the G&L and LOVED the tones but with a nut width of 44mm it's beastly on my hands. If they made it with a narrower neck, this would be the one.

I will have to do my research on Ibaneezers. The Jazz bass in white would tick my Paul Turner wannabe box. I love that dude's playing and tone. The Laklands look nice. Never played one but they stock 'em in Glasgow so I will have a play. Musicmans are the bomb too.

I notice there's no love for Warwick here so far. I had considered a Streamer LX purely on youtube demos but they're hard to obtain round these parts - in fact, I don't know of a stockist in Scotland.
[/quote]

The m2000 neck isn't as chunky as that on the l2000. :-)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1406238448' post='2509762']
Folks have mentioned Warwick Streamer LXs but you could find a pukka used SSI for under £1k, which is frankly a steal.
[/quote]

It's true. It's simply embarrassing how little you need to pay for a used German Warwick these days. The mainstream bass-playing public has no concept of how good they are.

If you're really GASsing for another bass and like Squier's value-for-money angle then I can recommend the Deluxe Jazz Active - I've got the four string version. There are a few threads on Talkbass where owners sing its praises and have compared it very favourably with Fenders and other far more expensive models.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406287942' post='2510168']
I had a VM Jazz V with an Audere Pre for a while and that was pretty spiffy.
[/quote]

There you go!

I reckon a CV and J-Retro would be even spiffy-er...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1406201392' post='2509236']
Depends what your looking for obviously....

Active basses can vary greatly in the sounds they produce depending on the type of preamp... If your after something HiFi and punchy you can't go far wrong with a stingray to be honest.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406392373' post='2511162']
Really leaning towards a Warwick SS1 at the mo. Where's the best place to pick up a second hand one? Ebay?
[/quote]

Ideally from BC, from someone with a known good sales record. Ebay is a bit more of a crapshoop but, of course, you can pick up some gems there too.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406408054' post='2511337']
Apparently you can pick up a Stuart Zender signature Warwick for £700-800 on www.thomann.de!!

Erm....this changes things.....
[/quote]

A Warwick SS1, Fortess or Streamer LX should still be in a different league. It's all in the woods used. The Zender bass is from the Korean Pro series I believe. Cherry (or Alder according to the current Warwick specs) body and maple neck. It will surely be a decent bass but not tonally in the same zone as German Warwicks.

Hmmm.....that does make it a little more difficult. I'm not looking to buy just yet, I'm doing my research well in advance, but it's starting to lean heavily in the favour of a used German-made Warwick. I will of course tour the shops first and do my own testing, but Warwicks are like hen's teeth in this part of the world.

It worries me the Warwick I want will be too difficult for me to obtain. I have had my head turned a little by the Sterling Ray 34 today, I must admit. I always loved Stingray slap tones but had doubts over the fingerstyle sound being a little clunky. This Ray 34, though, seems a bit smoother. It seems like quite an instrument for the money, too. Must play one and see.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406503510' post='2512035']
It worries me the Warwick I want will be too difficult for me to obtain. I have had my head turned a little by the Sterling Ray 34 today, I must admit. I always loved Stingray slap tones but had doubts over the fingerstyle sound being a little clunky. This Ray 34, though, seems a bit smoother. It seems like quite an instrument for the money, too. Must play one and see.
[/quote]

used to have one of the Sterling Ray 34's. great basses and I seriously miss having that stingrays sound however I found the neck to be insanely uncomfortable to play for long periods of time. In the end I'm sticking to Warwick at the moment, at least until I get my hands on my ACG.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1406508098' post='2512047']
Spector Euro 4. You can get it with either soap bars or the P/J config that you're used to with the Squier. Personally i prefer the PJ config on them.

The EMGs sound amazing in it and the Spector Tone Pump pre amp in it is (I.M.O.) the nicest sounding pre amp on the market. I love the sound of them.
[/quote]

They do sound amazing, but again hard to get a try before you buy. Looking at what ebay has to offer, they're a good bit over my budget sadly. The tones from those basses are fat and dark, I love it.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1406503510' post='2512035']
[/quote]

You can pick up a pristine used full-fat Musicman Sterling (rather than Sterling by Musicman) for about the price of the Ray 34. Has a narrower neck than the Stingray - more Jazz bass.