Why become a member? ×

Best P pickups and wiring

JamesBass

So my MIM P just isn't cutting it sonically anymore, I'm becoming more and more frustrated by the tones I can and can't get from it, and yes I've tried all other ways of sorting this, new strings, EQ et al.

Current electronics are stock and just give either a horrible boomy tone or a very glassy top end. I'm looking for that more vintage tone, that nice pre-CBS vibe, lots of bass-bass mids and a nice top end that doesn't become glassy. What pickups are out there that get me near this, and what wiring sets are the best? I'll be replacing the pots as well as mine are starting to crackle occasionally.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1406221890' post='2509517']
Kiogon wiring loom, look no further :)

Spb-1 is good, antiquity 2 is also lovely :)
[/quote]

These were the two things that popped to my mind, the Duncan Antiquity 2 P/Up is modelled after an early 60's tone, the SPB-1 is based on a '57 so they are quite different.

I see you have a Ricky too, which is a lovely top quality bass. If you're used to the good stuff then a new pickup may not be the answer. Each bass has it's own natural tone, and if that tone isn't a good one, a better pickup will only highlight that more.

Sorry for the negative post, but it can be like putting a Ferrari engine into a Ford Focus - yes it'd make a difference but you wouldn't get the full potential of the pickup and it may highlight weaknesses in the bass.

Cheers for the suggestions!

Has anyone had any experience of the Bill Lawrence P46's or the Kent Armstrong Pickups? What about UK "boutique" builders? Such as the creamery, or BareKnuckle?

Just been browsing TalkBass and came across a thread that mentioned these http://www.mvguitars.com/P-Bass--3-8--Pole-Split-Humbucker-Replacement-Pickups-.html as being the best the guy had ever used, anyone ever used these?

James

The Bareknuckle '58 P bass is freaking amazing!
I've had a Lindy Fralin and that was incredible too.
The Bareknuckle will go the distance with the Fralin and it's cheaper.

Another very happy camper here with my KiOgan wiring harness. Buy with confidence, buy British! :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1406225311' post='2509574']
Aguilar AG4P-60? Modelled on Dave boonshofts pre CBS Fender pickups and sounds beautiful.
[/quote]

I've used these before and they were great, in fact I may have a new, unused set, kicking around in my music room!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1406245036' post='2509839']
Does anyone know what components KiOgan uses in his wiring sets?
[/quote]

All top quality components with solderless connections to make it a doddle to change.
Send him a PM, he's very nice and really helpful. He'll build you whatever you need and offers great advice too.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1406226618' post='2509601']
Cheers for the suggestions!

Has anyone had any experience of the Bill Lawrence P46's or the Kent Armstrong Pickups? What about UK "boutique" builders? Such as the creamery, or BareKnuckle?

Just been browsing TalkBass and came across a thread that mentioned these http://www.mvguitars.com/P-Bass--3-8--Pole-Split-Humbucker-Replacement-Pickups-.html as being the best the guy had ever used, anyone ever used these?

James
[/quote]
I've got a set of Kent Armstrong pups almost as new, boxed. Maybe you can have them on approval?
pper

At the end of it all it is going to be your ears that will decide which pup is *the one* - a Kiogon wiring loom has screw terminals that make changing pups very easy - probably best to do what I did and just keep buying the various pups on here secondhand so you can compare them in situ after living with each for a while. Move them on if they don't suit - usually for the same or a very slight reduction in money - until you find the tone you are looking for. On paper many of those mentioned seemed ideal yet when fitted to my bass they didn't do it for me.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1406245036' post='2509839']
Does anyone know what components KiOgan uses in his wiring sets?
[/quote]

If you drop John a PM, he will give you options for which components you would like (From memory, I think he offers either CTS or Alpha pots, and will also advise on which cap you would like.)

Here's a link to the man himself: http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1406223520' post='2509544']
Kiogon wiring loom and Fender Original/62 would be my choice for vintage tone.
[/quote]

Precisely what I use on my American Special and it sounds just as good as my vintage P. Another very important thing to keep in mind is the right strings to achieve the sound you want. I use D'addario Chromes and with the tone control full up I still get a lot of growl and enough presence to cut through any mix finger style, with a pic or slapping. Tone control rolled off to taste and you can have as much Motown as you want. Ah... And a proper set up too.