Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BSP100 Bass Preamp

BigGuyAtTheBack

Hi Folks, I've just acquired one of these little half rack units and wondered if anybody has used one on a live gig? I'm fed up of my BBE preamp and the Fender style tonestack, it only seems to have one sound and its a pain to try and get some mids happening in a boomy room. Any info greatly appreciated on the wee Yamaha. Cheers Cammie

For me, the trick to get good sound from a classic fender tone stack preamp type is to max the mids and use both bass and treble around 2/10. That gives you a flat(ish) sound that cuts the mix beautifully. Depending on the room both bass and treble can be adjusted (up or down) but keep the mids maxed IMO.

This is what i do with my F1X and it has beed sounding great everywere and with every bass i use.

EDIT: this is in a live band setting, for recording or home practise you can put the knobs at 12 o'clock for the well known "V-shape EQ".

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Hi Ghost Bass, yeah I tried that setting and it worked well with a pick but i prefer to play fingerstyle most of the time and it just disappears. I tried the parametric mid shift control but its really sensitive and usually gets boxy sounding. Will give another chance at the wedding gig this Saturday.