Why become a member? ×

The Police - One World (Not Three) Still my favourite drum track ever ..

xilddx

For some reason I had this number in my head today, just the rhythm and bass line. Couldn't remember what it was, started singing it and it came to me. Haven't heard it for years. I still love the song and especially Copeland's incredible feel and phrasing just as much if not more than I used to. Do yersel a favour ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDsqJMFGrY

I think he is an incredible drummer and love the way in this one he absolutely leads the whole change in dynamics and makes it seem so, so simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH0vjLwMyc4

Having said that, can't really hear what is so special about the track you've posted Nige - I'll check it out properly on vinyl tomorrow (any excuse) :)

Ghost in the machine is probably my favourite Police album.

I missed out on them at the time (only 6 when they split up), but got introduced to them via my uncle and my 1 brother.

We used to have a great video filmed while they were recording the album, I don't think it's available on DVD though.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1406233295' post='2509686']

Having said that, can't really hear what is so special about the track you've posted Nige - I'll check it out properly on vinyl tomorrow (any excuse) :)
[/quote]
Like I said, his gorgeous phrasing, use of the kit in such a musical way, the way he moves the level of swing , almost going straight time in places. It's pure magic, a Copeland showcase. I love the tune too, and Sting is a masterful bassist in terms of feel and nuance. Summers is wonderful too.

It's all about personal taste init. This music moves me in a very strong visceral way. My head is highly attuned to certain types of nuanced playing so a tiny hi hat accent can make me shiver. My brother and I are very similar in this respect and the same tiny hi hat thing would get us both shrieking, we'd both notice it, weird that.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1406276684' post='2509962']
Always loved the freshness of this track, not their bestknown song but I find it very uplifting

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEIYjS1ePY[/media]
[/quote]

Good one, always loved that track.
The straight down the middle Drumming always reminded me of John Robinson's style.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406234053' post='2509700']
Ghost in the machine is probably my favourite Police album.

I missed out on them at the time (only 6 when they split up), but got introduced to them via my uncle and my 1 brother.

We used to have a great video filmed while they were recording the album, I don't think it's available on DVD though.
[/quote]

If that's the monserrat video, I'm sure it's available. I'm sure someone lent me a copy some time ago.