Why become a member? ×

Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad.

blue

This is an real ad in a Milwaukee trade paper.

Is this a good opportunity, I don't know. For the right person maybe it is. If I were looking it would not be for me. There are too many unknowns. For example to me it's unclear what they have to offer and maybe thats by design?

Tear it apart dissect it and share your thoughts.

Thanks

Blue

[i]You: attitude, ability, likable. Strong backing/harmony vocals a must. Ability to learn quickly and play at an expert level. Late 20s to early 40s only, please.

Us: modern pop, rock and country cover band. We play complex, interesting, fun, upbeat party rock songs with both male and female leads. Connections to all major festivals and venues. Playing as many as 20 gigs in spring/summer and at least once a month during fall/winter. Corporate sponsorship.

Non-negotiable: you must be available for all shows including holidays and some weekdays. Absolutely no smokers of any kind. Bad attitudes will not be accepted.

Only bass guitarists with video samples will be considered.

*** THIS PROJECT WILL LAUNCH IN FALL 2014 ***

Not interested? Please share with those who might be. Thank you.[/i]

I think that the wording is fine; just that they are asking for the world for what is basically what we over here would call a function band!

Even if I was the slightest bit interested in the gig, I would be put off by their rather dogmatic insistence on non-smokers (and I gave up smoking 9 years ago)…

Intelectually I get the age thing, however I don't think it needs to be in the ad.

The request for video is quite common over here. I don't have a problem with it, but I am not sure what they are looking for in a video. It must be to screen out the old guys. lol

[quote][i]You: attitude, ability, likable. Strong backing/harmony vocals a must. Ability to learn quickly and play at an expert level. Late 20s to early 40s only, please.[/i][/quote]

That age range could actually restrict their choices, as it's arguably the core age range for raising a family. If I were in that position, that'd be a killer as there would be no way that I could "[i]be available for all shows including holidays and some weekdays.[/i]" Raise the bar to 45+ & the availability issue is likely to be less of a problem.

[quote][i]Us: modern pop, rock and country cover band. We play complex, interesting, fun, upbeat party rock songs with both male and female leads. [/i][/quote]

Present tense. So are they already an active outfit? What do they mean by 'complex'? If I were thinking of applying, some sort of sample set list would be an aid here as I have a very low tolerance threshold for Country. Video link would be good. Male & Female leads throws up the **possible** red flag of a Husband & Wife band.

[quote][i]Connections to all major festivals and venues. Playing as many as 20 gigs in spring/summer and at least once a month during fall/winter. Corporate sponsorship.[/i][/quote]

Connections, eh? Heard that one before. Examples?

"Corporate Sponsorship" ...Meaning what exactly? Free coffee at Joe's Diner or a tie-in with a professional event organiser? If the latter does that imply some kind of pay guarantee?

Gig expectancy seems decent, but doesn't square with this:

[quote][i][i]*** THIS PROJECT WILL LAUNCH IN FALL 2014 ***[/i][/i][/quote]

Any gigs already booked? With all this 'Corporate Backing' & these 'Connections' you'd think that there'd be some kind of carrot to dangle. Nothing gets a band gig-ready like having a gig to be ready for.

[quote][i]Only bass guitarists with video samples will be considered.[/i][/quote]

Fair enough, it allows for a quick decision on ability, stagecraft etc., but it's a two-way street - I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I doubt I'd apply for it. Apart from the fact that I fail on three of their basic criteria (I don't sing, wouldn't call myself a 'quick' learner & I'm well to the north of their age expectations), there's a strong hint of 'dreamer' floating over the rest of it. That or it's one of those pay-to-play 'management' companies that's looking [s]for some new suckers[/s] to expand its A&R portfolio.

If I did meet their criteria, I'd be asking some very probing questions.

P.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406244424' post='2509834']
They seem to be very honest and upfront about what they want. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to meet them... if it's the sort of thing one was looking for.
[/quote]

Plus the one

Looks absolutely fine to me.

They're being up-front about what they want, which saves time for both the band and any prospective applicants.

If you fit the bill, then the next step would be to get in touch and discuss anything you needed to know - you can't put [i]everything[/i] in an advert.

Seems like a startup band so I would take their 'ambitions' with a pinch of salt...and therefore
their 'requirements' would follow that as well.

If someone wants that sort of committment up front...they need to be able to deliver their end as well...
so I'd want to know what the money was.
It doesn't add up as well as it should...
If they were established, then the ad would stack up better, IMO.

Like JTUK says, they've put their stall out as far as what they are demanding from you so you should do likewise. Id want to know how many gigs they can prove are prebooked, I'd want to know that they run the band professionally (ie have contractual agreements for the prebooked gigs that cover cancellations with full pay as i wouldn't be committing my time to something and then losing money because they don't run things properly!) and find out what the fee is for your ability to play 'at an expert level'... Will they be paying you an expert's wage? I'd also want to know how transport, gear insurance and other costs were paid for. An extra split of band payment that goes into a pot? Covered by individual musicians? All that kind of thing. If they want to run the band as professionally as they say, they should be able to answer all those questions and give you the chance to make your own mind up before the audition (which could save you all a lot of time!)

Edited by skej21

Yeah despite all the suggestions that this is a band that's ready to go out playing regular paying gigs there's no mention whatsoever of what you get in return and how expenses shall be met which to me sounds like they don't know...

I guess it's difficult to word these adds... You want to come across as professional and get accross the kind of level of player you are looking for, but also you don't want too scare everyone off from auditioning.

I'd just put up something really simple with the genre, location and some basic info about the band then expand a bit when people reply.

Doesn't add up, and quite annoyingly so, and that's even when taking into consideration an ad has to be short.

"Cocky young 'uns with lack of experience, overselling themselves" is what I read from this.

They probably perform at all the major festivals like the Milwaukee Conservative Christian Up Tempo Festival, and most probably also the Milwaukee Reformed/Baptist Union Complex C&W (Christian & W*nker, that is) Festival.

Boy, I do not like current white middle class culture in the US much, do I? :blush:
:D

Some of the replies here suggest people over-complicating things. It's not a contract you're being asked to sign, it's just an advert.

If you were interested the next step is to ring/email/meet them and ask [i]them[/i] about the things you don't know...

YMMV of course, but even if an ad basically said 'Ahpook the bassplayer needed for band, age:44 heigh 5'9", glasses, beard, long hair, must like overdrive and Fender basses. Essential to have been born in Essex'

I'd still want to talk to them before I made a decision !!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1406279195' post='2510016']
...bassplayer needed for band, age:44 heigh 5'9", glasses, beard, long hair, must like overdrive and Fender basses. Essential to have been born in Essex...
[/quote]

I bet we have a BCer somewhere that fulfills this exact criteria...

I'm OK on the glasses, beard and Fender basses but I only grew up in Essex.. wasn't actually born there. Also I'm not old enough, follicly challenged, too tall and don't like overdirve... so I'm not even close really....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1406279615' post='2510028']
I bet we have a BCer somewhere that fulfills this exact criteria...

I'm OK on the glasses, beard and Fender basses but I only grew up in Essex.. wasn't actually born there. Also I'm not old enough, follicly challenged, too tall and don't like overdirve... so I'm not even close really....
[/quote]

:D

I have a friend who worked on the liners for a few years, before meeting a girl and settling down, whereupon he got a job at Rentokil. A couple of years later the relationship fell apart, they sold the house, etc, and he replied to a job ad asking for a pest control operative who was willing to travel. At the interview, the chap said "Well, what we'd really like is someone with your qualifications who's got experience working and living on a liner, but of course we'll never find that combination..." He got the job. :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406299349' post='2510367']
Whats with the 'Non-Smokers' in ads these days?

I'm not a smoker myself, but I dont see what that has to do with music...
[/quote]

I was wondering if the "no smoking of any kind" was a drugs reference

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1406306437' post='2510474']
I was wondering if the "no smoking of any kind" was a drugs reference
[/quote]

I'd imagine so...

"Right, we're quite strict about smoking in the band... you don't smoke cigarettes do you ?"

"Good God,no...just crack"

[quote]Playing as many as 20 gigs in spring/summer and at least once a month during fall/winter. [/quote]

Perhaps I misunderstand but that sounds like '[i]as many as 26 gigs a year[/i]'. Doesn't sound like a lot to me, but what do I know?

[quote]Bad attitudes will not be accepted.[/quote]

Me: So how do you define a 'bad attitude'?

Them: Asking difficult questions like that. Next please!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1406311250' post='2510557']
"Only bass guitarists with video samples will be considered."

I am surprised they didn't ask for a Urine sample as well.
[/quote]

That really would be taking the piss.

[size=2]You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down :)[/size]

Edited by ahpook