Why become a member? ×

Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad.

blue

They want 'attitude' but not 'bad attitude', which makes me think they haven't actually read what they've written...

... and the 'Absolutely no smokers of any kind' makes me want to get the job, learn all the songs, and then turn up at the first gig with a very large spliff on the go ... but then I guess I must have a bad attitude.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1406311250' post='2510557']...I am surprised they didn't ask for a Urine sample as well.[/quote]
[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1406311906' post='2510563']That really would be taking the piss...[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:166776]

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1406318230' post='2510634']
Pity I am too old in the view of some.
[/quote]

Not me... I think age 'restrictions' show a lack of imagination and are, well... ageist. Why do younger players imagine that older guys should just play Motown and/or classic blues/rock covers in pub and function bands?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...

Interesting comments, seems like the concensus is, the ad is questionable. I was also concerned about vague terms up for interpretation,[list]
[*]Corporate Sponsorship
[*]20 gigs in spring & summer ( what are these twenty 2015 shows what caliber and pay grade )
[/list]
Another thing, I don't know what it's like in the UK, but really good opportunities are not advertised publically. The really hot bands making big $$$ have their own camp and resources for their opportunities.

Blue

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1406318230' post='2510634']
The age thing again.... having just taken early retirement at 55 I now have the time and freedom to get serious about music again. Pity I am too old in the view of some.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'll be 61,[list]
[*]I'm gigging more than ever ( 70 shows anually )
[*]Have more time to devote to playing.
[*]High end gear ( whatever that means )
[*]I'm more realistic
[*]More focused
[*]Confident
[*]Playing better than ever ( I think )
[*]Drug and substance free ie, been clean for decades
[/list]
To a degree my age works against me, however I think the really good opportunities are given by people that think beyond age.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406327235' post='2510756']
Another thing, I don't know what it's like in the UK, but really good opportunities are not advertised publically. The really hot bands making big $$$ have their own camp and resources for their opportunities.
Blue
[/quote]

Pretty much here in the UK as well.
Most of the top regular working corporate function bands (which includes overseas work),
dep (sub) wise, tend to pull from a regular pool of musicians, and if a permanent position becomes
available, would go to those regular dep(sub) guys first, and then onto recommendations from those
guys before any auditioning.

On the smoking thing, I gave up 10 years ago and I am in no way judgemental or hypocritical on this subject.

But when every bloody set starts five bloody minutes late because the bloody drummer is having one more bloody roll-up it can be BLOODY irritating.

I also know of one major music star who travels everywhere (when on tour) in a mobile home, which gets parked behind whichever hotel the rest of the band is staying in. He's a lifelong chain-smoker, not about to change, and no hotel wants him as a guest.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1406365835' post='2510889']
But when every bloody set starts five bloody minutes late because the bloody drummer is having one more bloody roll-up it can be BLOODY irritating.
[/quote]

Especially when you're already ten minutes late as said bloody drummer took his time setting up his bloody kit in the first place.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1406367587' post='2510908']
Especially when you're already two to three minutes late as said bloody drummer took his time ( :blink: ) doing his bloody ( :o ) girlfriend in the first place. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Bert, this post is totally unacceptable. Everyone knows that drummers don't have girlfriends.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1406279195' post='2510016']
Some of the replies here suggest people over-complicating things. It's not a contract you're being asked to sign, it's just an advert.

If you were interested the next step is to ring/email/meet them and ask [i]them[/i] about the things you don't know...

YMMV of course, but even if an ad basically said 'Ahpook the bassplayer needed for band, age:44 heigh 5'9", glasses, beard, long hair, must like overdrive and Fender basses. Essential to have been born in Essex'

I'd still want to talk to them before I made a decision !!
[/quote]

That's my take on it too.

We all know that the most important issue in a band is for everyone to get on, so the best thing to do in an ad is be as honest as possible about what you're looking for and hopefully filter out any bad matches before even meeting them.

I also can't see any point in arguing about what they're asking for or trying to persuade them to relax a requirement just to suit you. If, for example, they don't want smokers or people with blue eyes or anything else and you don't match then just move on.

If they can find their perfect match then good for them. If they can't then presumably they'll change their requirements, but that's up to them and trying to persuade them they won't find anyone as specified so should consider you instead is a pointless waste of time.

Besides, any 'wanted' ad says a lot about them and if you don't like the ad it's a fair bet you won't like them either.

Life is short, move on.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406369229' post='2510926']
That's my take on it too.

We all know that the most important issue in a band is for everyone to get on, so the best thing to do in an ad is be as honest as possible about what you're looking for and hopefully filter out any bad matches before even meeting them.

I also can't see any point in arguing about what they're asking for or trying to persuade them to relax a requirement just to suit you. If, for example, they don't want smokers or people with blue eyes or anything else and you don't match then just move on.

If they can find their perfect match then good for them. If they can't then presumably they'll change their requirements, but that's up to them and trying to persuade them they won't find anyone as specified so should consider you instead is a pointless waste of time.

Besides, any 'wanted' ad says a lot about them and if you don't like the ad it's a fair bet you won't like them either.

Life is short, move on.
[/quote]

but sometimes its worth a cheeky punt

i replied to a local ad november 2013 ish by a local guy who had plenty of original material and wanted to form an all female backing band

so after checking out the original material and thinking to myself i could add some value with original bass lines, i sent off a cheeky reply basically saying that i liked the original material and that if he changed his mind on the all female criteria to get in touch

got an email back a couple of days ago asking if i was still interested :)